Sending knife to USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi
I have sold my first knife outside the UK today going to the USA. As far as I can see from the internet there are no restrictions in sending it as long as it has the relevant paperwork. I think I will probably send it using Royal Mail Airsure.

Are there any makers out there who have had experience, good or bad in sending a knife to the USA ?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eifion

Last edited by a moderator:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Can't see anything on the Royal Mail website, just the requirement for the CN22 (Customs Declaration) to be filled in and that the knife is properly and safely packaged/contained.

Nektarios

Settler
Jul 5, 2010
Denmark
www.np-knifes.dk
Well i have send some knifes to the us, and I have ask the Danish customs about that and the answer was if the blade it’s not longer than 12cm it’s no problem with that, the only thing is that the knife must be secure so it cannot make any damage or cut his way out of the packet. Hope that helps.
Regards
NP

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well i have send some knifes to the us, and I have ask the Danish customs about that and the answer was if the blade it’s not longer than 12cm it’s no problem with that...

Obviously I've never "sent" a knife to the US from outside but I have "received" a few; many of them longer than 12 cm. The longest I've received was over 10 inches (or about 23 cm) and it had no special paperwork. Also an 18 inch machete (about 42 cm)

I suspect that the length limit you referenced is probably due to your Post Office regs more than US Customs limits on incoming items.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Thanks for your advice guys, I think I should be ok. My main problem I think will be the individual at the Post Office counter, although I have sent many knives within the UK I have never had to declare what was in the package, but for customs purposes I will. As I have found out when you tell people you make knives they 'freak out' and dont really understand that knives are a tool, and not a weapon.

Eifion
www.erknives.com

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Just say 'Cutlery' Eifion - that's what I did with a Benchmade Mini Rukus which I sent off for repair.
I can't see why they'd probe further, as it's a proper term for such tools.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have sent a couple of my knives to the US and had no problem.
I made sure they were well packaged, they were received unopened and intact.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Well i have send some knifes to the us, and I have ask the Danish customs about that and the answer was if the blade it’s not longer than 12cm it’s no problem with that, the only thing is that the knife must be secure so it cannot make any damage or cut his way out of the packet. Hope that helps.
Regards
NP

Good to know! I've been thinking about importing a knife from the UK, but wasn't sure about the law.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Posted the knife yesterday, the guy at the counter asked what was in the parcel ? When I sain a knife he gave me a strange look, but I pointed out that it was safely packaged and he was ok about it. The knife is on it's way, so fingers crossed !

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
When I've posted them the guy behind the counter started asking loads of questions about making knives each time, he was far from mortified there was a knife in there. I'll bet he wants to have a go himself as the questions got better and better each time.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Don't know about sending to the USA however I have had knives sent from USA to the UK they usually mark as "cutlery". Axes are no problem and I have had knives, parangs & kukri's sent from Malaysia, Nepal etc. usually marked as tools.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I sendknives to the USA and never had problems. You just have to fill the custom declaration form, declare exactly what's in the package, value (and weight I believe). I have written "bushcraft knife", or "carving knife" , never been opened as far as I know. As said, just make sure its very safely packaged, so that no injuries can happen to staff handling the package.. I started filling the custom declaration (just get a few at a time) myself, prior to sending the parcels as one post office staff gave me a bit of hassle once over the word knife, telling me it was not "legal" which is non-sense!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The only time I've had a package questioned was a Parang from El Salvador.
The very clear-thinking people had written in big black marker pen: 'MACHETE' with my name in equally large letters, all across the top of the box.

That was not a clever move by them.

Garden tool would've been equally valid, or bushcraft tool etc.

For future reference DHL aren't supposed to ship bladed tools, or sharp objects apparently.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Garden tool, camping equipment or cutlery usually saves any problems at the post office. I tend to put camping equipment, it doesn't rattle people at all.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wellll...the first time I sent a knife to theSates, I made the mistake to let the post woman do it for me. She had a rant a me about knives being illegal... So after that I did fill them myself!

The reason I thought it funny was because the Postal Clerks here don't fill out forms; they just point you to the counter where they are and holler, "NEXT."

Apr 6, 2012
Northumberland
I recently sent a Bushcraft knife to the USA, with no problems. It was marked Cutlery. I also ticked the "gift" box on the sticker, to stop them any problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE