Sending a bow through the post - opinions

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Hi all,

i will be looking to sell and old laminated recurve bow I have had for as long as I can remember however I have no idea what the best way to post would be?

It is 1.35m tip to tip.

Could anyone recommend any service they have used without issue?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Funnily enough I do a bit of bow posting ;-)
Gave up with the post office a long tome ago due to their 1.5 meter limit.
I now use a company called interfreight shipping, nice people. For cheap packaging for straight or slightly recurved bows your local fishing shop will sell long plastic rod tubes with screw cap ends which are perfect.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Funnily enough I do a bit of bow posting ;-)
Gave up with the post office a long tome ago due to their 1.5 meter limit.
I now use a company called interfreight shipping, nice people. For cheap packaging for straight or slightly recurved bows your local fishing shop will sell long plastic rod tubes with screw cap ends which are perfect.

Looks like that may be the one I use then if it sells.

Thanks Dwardo

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I had an expensive longbow, which I had to post to the maker to be re-knocked.

It was a very expensive postal quote. £27 each way. So £54 in total to send it to the maker, and then have it returned.

I didnt want to pay that much.

So I called my credit card provider, and they assured me that even though I had not purchased the bow using my credit card,
if I used my credit card, to pay for the postage of the bow, I would be covered for the full cost of the bow, under section 75 of the consumer credit act [1974], if it got lost in the post.

So paying extra postal insurance was not needed.

So I booked the collection of the bow, from my house, via parcels2go, and paid with my credit card. Cost just £10.

I then called the maker, and had him call me when the bow was reknocked.

I then booked a collection from his shop, on my own PC, via parcels2go again, and informed him when the parcel would be picked up from his shop.

This way, I didnt have to pay any extra postal insurance.

So I was able to post the bow and then have it picked up and returned to me for £10 each way.

So £20 in total, instead of £54 postage costs. and I would have been insured if it got lost or damaged.

If you are thinking of posting a bow, or an expensive item, like this, you should call your credit card provider, and check that the above applies to you as well.
And get the name of the person you speak to.

If you dont know and use your rights as a consumer, we'll all end up losing them.

Doesnt apply to your case in particular, but its worth knowing. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE