Semi-tutorial on making a wooden hook.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
These pictures were taken quite a while ago and was not specifically meant for a tutorial.

Juniper (Juniperus communis) is considered by me and some other people as being excellent for making wooden hooks. It is easy to find suitable pieces, works easily with stone tools and dries up fairly hard.

After finding piece where a sidebranch goes virtually paralell with the main branch, saw into the wood with a flake and split the barb off the main branch as shown in the picture.

breakhook.JPG

Carve the hook to near finished dimensions and leave it to dry on the fire. Finish it up when dry.

dryhook.JPG

The finished hook is bound to the end of a string, in this case a strand of sinew as an "invisible" leader. The main line is a crappy braided nettle line (the one I have going now is much better) and I used a stone as a sinker. The contact point between the wood and the sinew is pitched to avoid the knot loosening.

finishedhook.JPG

The barb on this one is shorter than ideal, can't remember why.

Now you can start searching for worms, under rocks is a good place to find them.

findworms.JPG

PS! This exact hook didn't catch any fish. The lake I fished in that day is highly overfished and the trout seemed to prefer to stay further out than the line could reach.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE