Selway Fisher Canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Right - If anyone wishes to take a look or have a paddle of of my canoe, I'll be taking it to the meetup at the end of the month, and you can all druel over it and massage my ego :D or laugh :confused:
cheers
Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course!!! :rolleyes: Sorry, didn't realise, I obviously saw it when the thread was new. That does look like a really well made and good looking canoe. How about some photos with it on the water then??!! :D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Here ya go :D

Shefloats.jpg

and

canoepaddling1.jpg

Cheers
Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Droool, sweet candy (in a homer simpson voice!!)

Looking very good, nice to see the life jacket too, sets a good example! I've got two on order for the young 'uns, and then they can accompany me on pleasant journeys on the many lakes around here, thus giving the missus a break!!

Canoes rock!!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeah She paddles beautifully.
The photos were posted to the gallery some time ago. Unfortunately the disc containing the images of the build has got corrupted -It actually looks like its been attacked with a cold chisel ! So these images only survived as they were on the computer :(
Cheers
Rich

Madra rua

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 20, 2004
Ireland
Hi guys,
I've just started building a 15'9'' Prospector and so far I've cut the timber and joined it to form the full length planks. I'm going to stitch them soon. So far I've been using fibre glass tape and resin that I've bought at the local hardware store which has been fine for joining the 8' lengths together, but I'll need longer fibreglass or polyester tape for joining the planks at the seams and epoxy in larger quantities to make it more economical. So, if anyone could tell me what materials (fibreglass and epoxy especially) they used it would be a great help. Also I was wondering if its necessary to fibreglass the whole boat (not just at the seams) to give it more strength and protection from moisture and if so what type of fibreglass sheath is needed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
Fintan.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
check out my link if you want some tips, I made plenty of mistakes so you can avoid them, great canoe, really good fun to paddle

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Is there anywhere to get plans for the prospector or similar but cheap?

I have seen a few free plans on the internet but they tend to look very poor and shouldnt think the canoe will look anywhere as good as the prospector type

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
i bought some plans from evil bay some guy offering a few plans on one disk all i can say is what a load of jank :rolleyes:most of them you can get free on the net and the others was so old and unable to read.. better off buying propper ones. iv just finished building my 16ft open canoe its a ply build and im very happy with it..

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Angelo do you have photos and a link to where you got/bought the plans, see if its the type Im after, also how much did it cost your roughly to build?

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
I didnt buy plans i got a few books from the libary and then worked out what i wanted. open canoes are all a basic shape so its just a case of how wide how long.iv paddle both open canoes and kayaks for years as an instructor and for joy iv also made a few over the years for my self and friends. Those plans on selway-fisher are good sets you cant go wrong from what iv seen and couple of friends have bought from there. You could always go half with a buddy on a set and build 1 each togther.
front.jpg
stab.jpg
Angelo do you have photos and a link to where you got/bought the plans, see if its the type Im after, also how much did it cost your roughly to build?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE