self sufficiency

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We have lived by solar power and wood for 11 years About 95% of our needs are met.

With 290 watts of panel and six golf cart batteries, and a little propane powered generation we run a knife and tool business and live comfortably.
We did rid ourselves of some stuff.

The first item we stopped using was a refrigerator. It did take some adjustment but after 5 years without one we're convinced a fridge is a totally decadent piece of equipment for many people. Of course not everyone can stop using one because of their circumstance. A root cellar, pantry and freezer are all one needs. A simple camp cooler goes a long way.
Added insulation on the freezer and a timer reduced the power consumption of this appliance by 1/2. Now we only use the freezer in the winter and keep it outside under cover which cuts its consumption by another 70%.
We eat fresh mostly, from our garden and what we forage, and whatever we are able to dry and can.

We heat and cook by wood and our hot water is heated through a water jacket in the cook stove which feeds a tank we installed. With the lining off the tank it is like having another heater. A small propane stove for back-up uses about $25 in fuel a year.

In Chilcotin territory in B.C. (there is no "the", like Yukon territory) there is lots of sun but we do have spells of up to a couple of months without much sun. I installed a big alternator (200 amps) in a propane powered vehicle, machined a drive pulley to inrease the rpm so that idling gives what the batteries demand, and it plugs into our small house to the batteries. About twice as efficient as a new Honda generator, quieter and as mentioned, on propane.
If you have the luxury of working at home the trick to solar power is to use it when the sun is out and work around it when it is not.

We are always expanding our vegetable garden, and our meat comes from trading and hunting.

In our business we recover all our steel, wood and antler. The highest quality is there but you have to look for it. We do as much by hand as we can (it is a trade off towards surviving in an unfriendly world) and sell through the internet, locally and a few shows. We used to travel across the countryside to sell. With a connection to the internet by satellite we drive much less and spend maybe $60 a month on gas.

I included our foodstuffs and power consumption because what power we don't use is what we don't have to generate.

We try to buy only what we need - I suppose the method is to figure out what one truly needs. For us it is a never ending process.

Scott.
http://www.caribooblades.com

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
excellant post cariboo, fridge and freezer tips you gave are something im definatly going to copy you on i think, top draw mate.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
OOTT - I'll put my hand up and say "yes please" to a little more info on the ram pump please. Never afraid to admit my ignorance

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Erm... right then.... First developed by the Montgolfier brothers, of hot air balloon fame, using a canon ball rolling in a shouldered hollow casting.

Hydraulic Ram Operation

Water enters the feed pipe “A” some 25 feet away from, and about 6 feet above the pump.
It flows downhill and through the valve “B” which I use for servicing.
It then flows out of the annular hole near “C” inside of which is a large flat disk. When the flow is strong enough, the water carries the disk with it and slams the outlet shut, against the force of the spring “D”. Spring travel and force is regulated by limiters at “D” and “E”.
This creates a pressure pulse which momentarily opens a non-return valve in “F” and “G”. There’s no need for two NRV’s but, the one I made myself gets contaminated by silt which reduces performance. The other is a scrap item the same size as the surrounding pipework.
These tiny squirts of pressureised water, are forced up through the pump body, where the shock of the pressure pulse is cushioned be an air chamber “H”.
Output flow then goes through another NRV “I” before going through the 30 odd meters of garden hose to the water butt.
Once the pressure has dissipated, the spring “D” is sufficient to overcome the static pressure of water and opens the annular hole, allowing flow to restart.
Gate valves at “J” and “K” just allow me to get rid of accumulated silt if it becomes necessary.
Best performance I can get is when it’s cycling at about 100 beats per minute.

IMG_2001b.jpg

So it should now be as clear as mud!

Ogri the trog

Damn, those letters are small - I'll have a fiddle about!
Blast, that didn't work either.
Third time lucky

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats fantastic Pete. When I get the place I hope you do commission work :)

May be, but it'll be commissioned with the same guarantee I used to offer in work - "It'll work perfectly, right up to the time some clown pushes the "Start" button!"

Not sure I could source all the bits easily, but we'll chat when you get here!

ATB

Ogri the trog

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I thought the idea was that you effectively grow the fuel that you burn - closing the carbon loop and hence being "carbon neutral". Whatever wood you burn, the carbon is taken up by the next crop which is in turn burnt etc etc!

I'll see if I can get some photos of the ram up sometime today.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Launceston, Tasmania. Launceston experiences similar high levels of wood smoke pollution to Armidale, although with a much larger population. A 30-strong expert working party has been researching the problem, and has recommended that emission standards for wood heaters should be lowered to as close to zero as possible, subsidies for electricity should be introduced to encourage reduced dependence on wood heating, and because of the importance to health, recommended banning woodheaters altogether if the wood smoke pollution could not be controlled within five years. An advertising campaign - 'Breathe the Benefits' has also been launched on TV and in the press by Environment Australia.

They are geting rid ov wood burning stoves here alot are being replaced with pellet
stoves.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Launceston, Tasmania. Launceston experiences similar high levels of wood smoke pollution to Armidale, although with a much larger population. A 30-strong expert working party has been researching the problem, and has recommended that emission standards for wood heaters should be lowered to as close to zero as possible, subsidies for electricity should be introduced to encourage reduced dependence on wood heating, and because of the importance to health, recommended banning woodheaters altogether if the wood smoke pollution could not be controlled within five years. An advertising campaign - 'Breathe the Benefits' has also been launched on TV and in the press by Environment Australia.

They are geting rid ov wood burning stoves here alot are being replaced with pellet
stoves.

Those "pellets" these new pellet stoves burn are generally made from cardboard/paper ground up, mixed with something to glue them together, and run through a machine to form them into pellets. So you are still burning wood. But your "wood" is just more highly processed than regular firewood.

Pollution from exhaust is always dependant upon the QUANTITY of the objects generating it. The more cars you have, the more vehicle exhaust pollution you have. Ditto manufacturing plants. So the more people burning wood, the greater the "pollution" from it. As the industrial revolution progressed, things shifted from burning wood, to burning coal, to burning oil, to burning propane gas, to "burning" electricty (generated miles away with it's pollution over in that area instead of in your city).

So it goes in our modern world. A shift in "fuels" just leads to ... other ... problems.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

There are many ways of consuming less fuel. Whether it be wood,.oil, propane, methane etc.

People ask us, "well what do you do when there is no sun?". I tell them I turn the propane on for a half hour.
What I mean is one does what one can to save and produce power.

Last year we built a small green house onto the front of our small home.
When it's -25 and sunny the space pumps heat into the house. The total cost of the green house was $100. When it's -25 and overcast we close the vents and burn dry wood in our efficient wood heater. And when we do light up the cookstove or wood heater, we are also drying food, clothes, or towels, heating water, simmering soup, making yogurt, and whatever else we can think of to make use of the energy.

We are in an isolated area so the quality of air is only what most can dream of except during the forest fire season. 2 - 400 hectares of burning beetle killed pine trees.

A dark water jug sitting inside on one's window sill during the day will store energy.
I really think it is a state of mind.

The government here in B.C. is going to flood part of a valley with a mega dam, the Peace River Valley Project. They are calling it green power. Basically power for California. Another beautiful valley will be destroyed. Only my humble opinion but what kind of lunacy is that?

http://www.caribooblades.com/sitemap.html

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This is all very interesting but I dont have the money to set such things up.

Id like to be more independent as things cost so much.

Ive read some articles on solar power in China, they have peasants trotting doen to B&Q and getting a solar array, and for the first time they have lighting!

why cant these things be that cheap over here?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE