Self sufficiency book recomendations

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Number two son is looking to buy a house with a big garden so he can grow his own food. His dream is to have a smallholding, but that is in the future. He is already quite skilled in woodland skills and is very practical and resourceful (chip off the old block).

I'd like to get him a book for his birthday that will entertain and nurture his dream as well as being useful now without insulting his intelligence, i.e. not a hippie coffee table type of thing. I remember John and Sally Seymour's books, but is there anything more up to date and with more depth?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
there is a new edition of seymours book called ''The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency''

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seymour does have several - for a large garden I think the self sufficient gardener is probably better than "The New complete guide to self sufficiency" ...both are good though

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do love that book - the "new complete guide" is a great read - as john himself agreed its partly a "dreamers guide" (and there is nothing at all wrong it that - it inspired us), but the "self sufficient gardener" is richer in detail, the details you don't know you need until you are actually trying to do it for real. Formulae, measurements, plans, schedules, stuff like that. Both have their place....all depends what the reader wants

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
The ss gardener might be your best bet rather than the full on ss manual, which is a bit full on. Ploughing with oxen might be a useful skill to know in a post apocalyptic world but not much good in a garden!!

Seymour's "Fat of the land" is a good escapist read.

The Self sufficientish book by the Hamilton brothers is a good modern equivalent.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Might like to look at the book by Dick Strawbridge and his son, all tied in with it's not easy being green TV show. Which also has a small paperback to go along with the series.
But look in Waterstones and the range is quite large, and good luck to your sons endeavour.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Many thanks everone for the help. I think I'm going for the Self Sufficient Gardener this time- other suggestions could make the Christmas list! Come to think of it, I may add the SSG to my own list as I have a birthday coming up.

BCUk has done me proud on book recommendations recently. First books on blacksmithing for daughter-in-law (No1 son's wife) Now gardening for No2 son. I think you've solved my annual "What can I get them" problem with my whole family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE