Self heating ration packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Hi im doing a survival kit for mine and SWMBO's car due to our driving to work on dodgy roads and one of the things i wanted to incorporate are self heating ration packs. Does anyone know a good value place to get these and can reccomend any that a child would like?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Do you mean like the us ration packs? the flameless MRE heaters? they give off an awefull lot of gas that isn't recommended in a tight space.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i have a gas stove and billy cans may just get some ration packs for me but i want something simple and foolproof for SWMBO as she will probably have little one with her

Perhaps energy drinks and something like cake bars would suit the young lady? Lidl sell good sized cans of Tuna salad which can be eaten cold.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know, a good flask is much under rated :)
Just fill a good size, easy pour one with hot water and put it in the car every time you go out in Winter and it'll do everything from cuppa soup to hot chocolate or a pot noodle if needed (the instant potato ones aren't so fussy about 'boiling' hot water )

Keeps life simple; dried long term keep foods, add Rik's cake bars and energy drinks, and a pack of baby wipes and a kitchen towel roll and it'll all go in a carrier bag in the car no bother at all.

I've usually got a small stove set in the car in Winter but tbh I've never needed to use it, but the flask proves to be well worth remembering :D

cheers,
Toddy

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
The Mrs and I have tried these:

http://hotpackmeals.co.uk/

Especially recommend the veg curry and the chicken dopiaza. Very tasty.

They seem a reasonable price for what they are (surely they can't not be the same as Wayfarer/ration pack meals - the varieties are exactly the same) - £5 each delivered (if you order 6).
The going rate for normal Wayfarer meals is around £4, all the web links I've just found for Wayfarer Hot Packs are £7!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE