Self Bow making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice work. Its always good to get one under your belt as a shooter. Keep an eye on the belly for chrysals though - ash can be a bit tricky in that respect.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hello. Chrysals are tiny lines usually across the belly of the limbs of a bow, either straight across or on a diagonal line, which form when the wood has collapsed in on itself by a small amount. They can occur in any wooden bow if or when the wood becomes over-compressed in one small area, usually as a result of tillering which is not perfect. Your bow looks quite good in this respect, but as with any wooden bow you should check the bow over each time you start or finish shooting it. Ash is one of those woods which are very very tough, but it is prone to chrysalling in time - sometimes not for thousands of shots though. Once a chrysal or set of chrysals occur there is nothing that can really be done, as the damage goes down into the wood of the limb. If they are not too severe, the bow will usually keep on working, but may lose some shooting speed and take a little set. If they are bad, you should retire the bow and make another one - that is the beauty of making them yourself :)

If you google the word 'chrysal' you will find some images illustrating what they look like.

I hope that help!

markman8

Dec 14, 2012
Crete Greece
@bobnewboy thank you for the information! Yes I did look it up and saw some pictures. Yesterday I did go to the archery lesson yet I did not check the bow (I forgot to say the truth, and the lessons are done with the recurved Olympic ones). I will check it next time. I suspect that there will be none till now as I am way down the 1000 or so shots, plus it is 72" long and the poundage of 28lbs is too low and spread over long limps to have chrysals till now.

@Disco1 The poundage is 28lbs @ 30" draw which is my draw. 72" long made out from Ash wood. As everybody says on youtube and one book that I purchased after I made it: "First one will come out less than expected in poundage" And it is true. You always suspect that if you start tillering at almost impossible bending limps you will brake it. That is for myself at least that made me shaving off too much material from both limps till I say now it is starting to be a bow. Anyway, 28lbs for a starter is not too bad. Next one I will try to go close to 40lbs which is a nice poundage for joy and speed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE