Seeking advice for Africa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
My missus' little sister is taking a gap year and is going to be travelling to and working (and spending some time on safari) in Uganda and Kenya during July

The company that she is going with has provided some very basic information in terms of kit, which I have expanded upon to give her a better idea of what to take but I have no experiance with Mosquito nets and I was hoping call upon ome of your experiances to see what she is going to need:

What specifications should she be looking for to make sure it will of a high enough quality. Her accomodation is going to vary from houses and tents to mudhuts. So problem number one is how to suspend the net from last mentioned accomodation type as most the nets i could find need to be suspended from the ceiling are there other types of nets that could be more suitable?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
andyn said:
My missus' little sister is taking a gap year and is going to be travelling to and working (and spending some time on safari) in Uganda and Kenya during July

The company that she is going with has provided some very basic information in terms of kit, which I have expanded upon to give her a better idea of what to take but I have no experiance with Mosquito nets and I was hoping call upon ome of your experiances to see what she is going to need:

What specifications should she be looking for to make sure it will of a high enough quality. Her accomodation is going to vary from houses and tents to mudhuts. So problem number one is how to suspend the net from last mentioned accomodation type as most the nets i could find need to be suspended from the ceiling are there other types of nets that could be more suitable?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link (safariquip - mosi net advice) to website that may help.

My vote goes for the webpage shaped one. I had one when I spent my gap year in africa and it worked fine and adapted to most situations. I'd recommend going for a single point attachment, box ones are just a hassle and free standing are too bulky plus with the low volume ones the net sometimes touches your legs!!!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
.................... just had another thought. Maybe she could try taking a hammock with the net built in and using it as a mossi net on a bed?!? Maybe a Hennessy or Clark Jungle Hammock (zipped side entrance maybe more practical?) ....... that way you double the options! I've slept on some suspect beds in my time and would have given my eye teeth for a hammock to sling up outside away from bed bugs etc!

www.junglehammock.com

www.hennessyhammock.com

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have to agree with Beer Monster, there's certain beds you just look at and wish you didn't have to sleep on. lol

Tell her to take a foil space blanket and use it on the bed as a liner, it will help keep the bedbugs, dirt and other mini-nasties off her :eek:

Bam. :D

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
take a wide brimmed hat with a chin strap, before you go into the parks especially in kenya they check your head gear.The Rangers dont allow baseball caps as theyve been known to come off and be eaten by elephants then you have to buy nasty cheap ones at the post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE