Security when using a Hammock and Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I dont think any build of man could still stand if you smashed him on the shoulder with a 5 foot stick.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
People don't wander around the woods looking for to chance upon a bushcrafter to attack or rob of his kit. (there's much richer pickings in a town) Don't forget if you can't see them they can't see you either. No-one is going to approach a person in the woods to rob him. What if that person (ie you) is the mad axeman? Anyone walking through the woods is liable to be worried about you and give you a wide birth in case YOU are the nutter. They don't know do they?
As already said. Get off the beaten track, small fire, don't get yourself noticed (playing music/guitar etc and you'll be fine.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
We tend to pick commercial site for their remoteness, the ones we mainly use are in Lincolnshire and they are a minimum of 2 miles from anything so never had any site problems, and if there is the sites we go on sort it there and then. One kicked a drunken family off last year for being too loud, like the owners told us kids play loud is ok as kids need to play, but adults shouting at ach other when they are sitting at the side of each other isn't on.
As for security I never worry about it, as a always on guard dog owned by a 6'6" large built bloke tend to put people off lol

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah towns do have richer pickings. Off a bushcrafter you could maybe get a wallet with a few bob in it n a camera perhaps. It would be far less effort and more cash to bust open a patio door and steal a plasma tv n a stereo system.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
You think we have problems here. I had a chat with a couple of mates in the USA about their impending motorcycle road trip where they intended to camp out every night..........their main subject of discussion was which pistols to carry.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
You think we have problems here. I had a chat with a couple of mates in the USA about their impending motorcycle road trip where they intended to camp out every night..........their main subject of discussion was which pistols to carry.

Yeah but america has such a vast landscape, I would worry less over there than here. Americans tend to be a bit OTT with there gun culture.

Lol and no I havnt had expierience, Iv just thought about it alot because were building a new huge shed in the garden and I was worrying about chav attacks in the night. Its all very much an irrational fear.

Solitude

Tenderfoot
Yeah but america has such a vast landscape, I would worry less over there than here. Americans tend to be a bit OTT with there gun culture.

Lol and no I havnt had expierience, Iv just thought about it alot because were building a new huge shed in the garden and I was worrying about chav attacks in the night. Its all very much an irrational fear.

Just jump out on em with that arab head dress on , strap ten cans of baked beans to your chest paint em black and shout a few gobble de gook words and you will scare em to death!!

hehe:lmao:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have possibly come up with the solution I was originally looking for, but appreciate all the replies never the less. When on holiday in Richmond [Yorkshire] last week I came across a shop selling Wirelless INFRARED PERIMETER PROTECTOR alarms intended for use when camping and illustrated as fitted to the external tent frame or a nearby tree.
They are not expensive at £9.99 reduced from £19.99 The alarm unit gives a 90 degree
sweep and up to 4.5 metres outward from the device. The only indication as to make is
[ TFIS the future in store ] is on the top of the bubble wrap card it comes in.
I do not remember the name of the shop, but it is at the top of the town square in
Richmond almost next to The Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop and has Camping gear in the window It is a very large general store, considering it's small frontage. Worth a look if this is something you are interested in and live near to Richmond.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nice one, glad to hear you got a solution in the end :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

(EDIT: Found their website although it hasn't got much on it:

http://www.futureinstore.com/ I guess people could contact them if they want one.

And also googled and found this about them (middle of the page and left hand side):

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/3634/4658/gadget-alarm-mobile.phtml

And also found this on amazon that looks like a pretty similar system:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doberman-Infrared-Perimeter-Protector-Personal/dp/B000GGKOQ8

And even found a few on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....om=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=150143886642&fvi=1 )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE