Second new kit idea

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Last night I mentioned my idea for an in-tent wee device (EzPeeZy was a genius name, by the way).

But the thread was entitled Two new kit ideas.

I forgot to mention my second one:

Imagine the griddle of a BBQ, only smaller, with foldable/detachable legs that prop it up above a fire, and with a foldable circumference that means it packs down easily into a rucksack. It could resemble a stainless steel griddle or maybe something more engineered like a teflon coated moulded piece of aluminium. I dunno, I'm new to all this.

BUT it would have to be able to have enough space to be able to cook at least four burgers easily. Or come in a range of sizes.

I've seen the Grilliput camping set and it's neat:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gril...272843533&JTID=149522604&OGID=247&network=GAW

but I wonder if there's something less fiddly that could be made by enthusiasts at home. I thought about sawing through a BBQ griddle so it would store in half the space and than have something to lock it back into a whole piece again. But this doesn't take care of the legs. Ray Mears had an African bloke knock one up for his time in the African bush but it was heavy. I want something lightweight that packs down small in my rucksack.

Ideas please...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
(EzPeeZy was a genius name, by the way).

Thank you. However when applied to me it seems to be pronounced 'Geni-****'... don't know why.:)

EDIT;-Damn this censorship! thats 'Geni -Alpha Romeo Sierra Echo.

Last edited:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You can buy exactly that from camping and general in Canvey island essex, a folding BBQ about 7 quid. i got one to put with my dutch oven light a few coals sit it on top job done all you need to do is remove the bottom flaps that hold the coals, failing that just carry a griddle and use 3 logs to sit it on.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have made a couple, i used 2, 8" square grills that fixed together, and used threaded bar as the legs, so it could be adjusted easily. You just need to keep trying different idea's.

Rob

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Thanks for pointing me to that website. Some good bits of kit on it. I'd still like to have a go at making my own and these products will act as a guide that I can hopefully adapt.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Cheap, cheerful, no weight...but will win no beauty pageant... try this:-

Take one large size takeaway foil container (the 9" x 4" variety) puncture with a skewer or pointy stick to make several airflow holey things.
Take a sheet of wire gauze/mesh from used/not used portable bbq and cut to fit the top of the t/away container with about 1" overhang. (mesh is available by the sheet circa 2' sq from B&Q).
Take 2-4 charcoal briquets and some form of ignition. I used vaseline/cotton wool.
Raise off ground a few inches with bits of wood or stones and Robert is your relative...mini, lightweight, reuseable, foldable (well a few times at least) BBQ

It isn't pretty, and I don't advocate using when under the influence, but it will work.
Just looked at one I have saved, should get 3 burgers on it...so long as they aren't Texas style!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE