Second attempt at sheath making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share today's triumphs. After making a sheath for my bk14, I decided I wasn't happy with it. I invested in a stitch groover, a cheap lidl dremel type tool, and some more leather and decided to have another go, I also made a left hand carry sheath for a mora for my dad.

Overall I'm happy with how they turned out. On the bk14 sheath, I applied the resoline finish to early and it pulled some dye off. However its given it a more rustic/worn look, which I like so I'll keep it as it is :) Enjoy and feel free to give any tips for future projects.

Anyway here are the pics, Enjoy!

IMG_0302_zpsadc05e08.jpg

IMG_0303_zps4cd8c825.jpg

IMG_0305_zps8308e100.jpg

IMG_0311_zps9153f518.jpg

IMG_0310_zps70bc6df0.jpg

IMG_0312_zps12d5ba4b.jpg

IMG_0313_zpse5e88452.jpg

IMG_0315_zpseacfc609.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think they both look great! The only tips you need are to make some more; keep learning at that rate and you'll be fine :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Thanks for the kind words :)

This leather work is really addictive. I just bought a big BK9 so I have my next project planned already :)

Can anyone tell me a good place to get leather from? This last batch i bought from ebay had a lot of scarring :/

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice work fella.

Sure the leather guys will be along for advice on best source for leather. I've used eBay too, but you have to take pot luck. My last good stuff I got from the Bushcraft show last year.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi m8...solid efforts....and as long as theyre safe then thats mission achieved....

not a big fan of resolene myself....can cause all sorts of problems and unless someones planning on scuba diving with their sheath on then i stay away from it....and i dont like the fact it sits on the leather rather than in it...however its left your sheath looking nice and aged....

s

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
hi m8...solid efforts....and as long as theyre safe then thats mission achieved....

not a big fan of resolene myself....can cause all sorts of problems and unless someones planning on scuba diving with their sheath on then i stay away from it....and i dont like the fact it sits on the leather rather than in it...however its left your sheath looking nice and aged....

s

Thanks, what do you recommend as a finish instead? :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...its as simple or as complex as you want to get really....

in my experience you need no more than dye and fiebings antique finish....coupla coats....you can then add a wax layer if you want....whether it be sno-seal, carnauba or bees wax youve processed yourself....i know some of the guys on here also slap a coat of mink oil in (personally i wouldnt...theres a load of dubious stuff on the internet about it....and i've heard similar about neatsfoot)...and no doubt there are thousands of leatherworkers out there who would disagree with me.

my attitude towards bushcraft leatherwork is this.....do exactly what you need to do to achieve the required end result....no more, no less....and do it conscientiously to the best of your ability)....and safety is always the priority. most people do not get their sheaths wet to any degree whatsoever.....and if they did i'd advise them to go with kydex.

and theres absolutely no point putting 15 layers of chemicals onto a bit of leather unless its needed or wanted/required for a specific look....whether cosmetically or structurally.

the sheath on my main user was dyed with brown then had one layer of finish on top...i made it years ago...its been camping many!!!!! times in all weathers and its had water, fat, grease, rain, mud, soup, fried egg, sweat, baked beans and probably bird mess and cow poop on it too and its absolutely fine...aged, strong, worn and robust.

i've a 100+ year old merryweather firemans belt here thats had a tough life and i've had it over 20 years myself and i've never applied a single thing to it yet trust me its indestructable.

theres too much 'good advice' out there as well as companies who want your money....bit of dye, bit of wax, job done.

and with experience comes skill and youll find youre capable of getting better results with less and less.....all just imo....(youll discover that the finish itself is not so important as to when and how you apply/polish it)

i have people asking me regularly...'how did you get those colours'...'how did you get that finish'....'how did you achieve that'....there are no secrets or homemade recipes...its simple...fiebings dyes, fiebings finish...thasit...no array of chemicals...no 'resists'....no concoctions.

regards

s

ps i read recently that leather degrades naturally in 25-40 years.....so...a bit of leather....outside....rotting....or in the ground, rotting...still takes 25+ years to go....its pretty tough is my point....thats what tanning is for...imo all these other products are pretty much unnecesary and simply relieve you of your hard earned.

Thanks, what do you recommend as a finish instead? :)

Last edited:

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
hi...its as simple or as complex as you want to get really....

in my experience you need no more than dye and fiebings antique finish....coupla coats....you can then add a wax layer if you want....whether it be sno-seal, carnauba or bees wax youve processed yourself....i know some of the guys on here also slap a coat of mink oil in (personally i wouldnt...theres a load of dubious stuff on the internet about it....and i've heard similar about neatsfoot)

my attitude towards bushcraft leatherwork is this.....do exactly what you need to do to achieve the required end result....no more, no less. and safety is always the priority. most people do not get their sheaths wet to any degree whatsoever.....and if they did i'd advise them to go with kydex.

and theres absolutely no point putting 15 layers of chemicals onto a bit of leather unless its needed....whether cosmetically or structurally.

the sheath on my main user was dyed with brown then had one layer of finish on top...i made it years ago...its been camping many!!!!! times in all weathers and its had water, fat, grease, rain, mud, soup, fried egg, sweat, baked beans and probably bird mess and cow poop on it too and its absolutely fine...aged, strong, worn and robust.

i've a 120 year old merryweather firemans belt here thats had a tough life and i've had it over 20 years myself and i've never applied a single thing to it yet trust me its indestructable.

theres too much 'good advice' out there as well as companies who want your money....bit of dye, bit of wax, job done.

and with experience comes skill and youll find youre capable of getting better results with less and less.....all just imo....

regards

s

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I'll experiment with some of the things you said and see what works best :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Nice work fella.

Sure the leather guys will be along for advice on best source for leather. I've used eBay too, but you have to take pot luck. My last good stuff I got from the Bushcraft show last year.

Thanks, I went last year as well. This was all new to me then though, got tickets last min on groupon. Looking forward to it this year! I heard the identity store thats there sell some good stuff :)

Very professional looking job there, looks great and not at all homemade.

Kind words, thank you very much :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Hi everyone,
I have never done any leatherwork, so im not an expert or even a novice at the craft. But the thing that stands out to me is the neatness of your stitching. For your second attempt at a sheath, I say well done.
Regards Chris.

Thanks, I was surprised how it turned out, as I mark all my stitch holes with a fork lol. DIY leather craft at its finest ;)

Looks really nice, especially like the little knife and sheath. Very neat looking.

Thanks, just incase you wondered its a becker bk14 . . . I kind have an obsession of collecting these knives lol

no prob....make sure you come and say hi at the show m8...i'll be the haggard looking stressed one lol

s

Is that at the identity stall stand? If i see you I'll be sure to say hi. I'll be wearing that neck sheath so should be pretty easy to pick out :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...nope...i'll be the one at the Beneath The Stars stand....but yeah make sure you see peter of the identity store too....very nice guy and highly recommended...i spent a coupla hundred with him at last years show myself lol...

s

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
hi...nope...i'll be the one at the Beneath The Stars stand....but yeah make sure you see peter of the identity store too....very nice guy and highly recommended...i spent a coupla hundred with him at last years show myself lol...

s

Oh sorry, yeah I'll be sure to pop on over. I'm going to be on the lookout for some new leathercrafting kit :) I can imagine! last year I had just gotten into/ been toying the whole outdoorsy interest. I didn't take much money but there was so many thing I wanted to buy! I'm saving up this year as there were a few nice knives amongst other things by makers I would loved to have bought. Really looking forward to it and to make it better, Cattan hall where it's at is just down the road from me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE