Secateurs

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Having got back into the gardening bug, I realise how useful a pair of secateurs is. Quite apart from gardening, they can cut up fuel for the Kelly Kettle or a Hobo Stove. I wonder if a pair of secateurs might not be a more useful attachment to a multi tool, than the ubiquitous pliers. Does anyone know of a particularly good multi tool that includes secateurs?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Leatherman Vista is what you are after i think, i have a set and love em, use them in the garden, up the woods and when out shooting

DSCF2533.jpg

DSCF2541.jpg

bit of a write up i did on them a while back http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/leatherman-vista-secateurs.html

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Vista

The Vista was discontinued a while ago, but a Google search may find someone with a pair in stock.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leatherman have done several - we use the Leatherman Vista but think its discontinued now.

There is a fairly reasonable set made by Wilkinson Sword too - you used to be able to get them in B&Q

Red

lol - beaten to it whilst I was trying to find if either were still around :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Kepis beat me to it by a whisker... :)

The pliers on almost any multi-tool are very very useful, and if the wood for your kettle is as dry as it probably should be it will break very easily.

So I'd have to take the pliers in preference to the secateurs if I could only take one, but yes I do like to have secateurs handy in the garden.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a couple of pairs - they aren't a Vista for sure - but I was happy for a tool to keep in my pocket! Once cut about 500 bracken fronds with one for a shelter :)

Vista open by British Red, on Flickr

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Leatherman Vista is what you are after i think, i have a set and love em, use them in the garden, up the woods and when out shooting

The Vista was discontinued a while ago, but a Google search may find someone with a pair in stock.

I was given a Vista for my 60th birthday, by a friend & his wife, very well made & useful bit of kit. I believe the Vista Camo sheath is still available on Ebay.com.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just carry a wee pair of pruners in my jacket pocket when out :) Incredibly useful and totally unoffensive :cool:

I like the heavier ones that have the ratchet thingie though when I'm camping, since that lets me cut up stuff to brush shaft thickness without putting any strain on my aching wrists and hands. Heavier to lug about though so I don't bother for daily use.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE