Seasoning Wood Query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Hi guys and gals.

We had to chop the mature cherry tree down outside our house and now I have a large pile of wood to burn. I'm thinking of saving some of the wood for knife handles. Any suggestions on seasoning, storing, etc?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
If you can get the timber milled put sticks between each board to allow air to flow. Paint the ends of each board with white paint (preferably microporous)Place in a spot in your garden where the wind can blow around it and put a piece of tin over to keep the rain off. In approx two or three years it will be ready for use.
When you do come to think about using it bring the boards inside so they will finish drying. You will be surprised how much they will move!
Alternatively bring a piece inside and leave it in the kitchen for a couple of months and it may be useable sooner depending on it's size.
Cherry has a lot of sapwood which is no use. The heart wood is a fine timber and along with Sycamore and English Oak commands the best timber prices.
I hope this helps. Swyn
PS you may find as this had to come down there will only be rubbish timber just fit for the fire. With a black heart and rot.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Thanks for the advice. The wood is solid, no rot and very healthy. I think I'll store some outside, and bring some in. I'll try both ways...

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
swyn said:
If you can get the timber milled put sticks between each board to allow air to flow. Paint the ends of each board with white paint (preferably microporous).

What types of paint count as microporus
Nice cheap white viynal emulsion ?

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
Yep, one year of seasoning for every inch thickness. This is a rule of thumb and it depends on how much sap there was in the tree when it was felled. There is more sap in a tree in the Spring than in Winter for obvious reasons.
You don't have to use microporous paint, instead buy some knotting solution from a DIY store and smear this on the end grain.
Tack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE