seasoning hazel/blackthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Can anyone tell me if there are any methods to dry / season these woods quicker ? I have cut a lovely blackthorn stick that i want to start working into a walking stick but patience isnt my strong point . I know these can take up to 5 years to fully season naturally , and hazel a year or more .

has anyone got any info ?

many thanks
Knightfisher

Asbo

Aug 30, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
well sometimes you can harden wood by use of fire by potting it in to the ashes of a hot fire so it hardens.

But probably pouting it into a hot room where it will be hot will dry it faster.

hope any of that is some help probably not lol :D

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
I heard a story some time ago , that many years ago they used to put the blackthorn stick up a chimney to dry faster and this also helped get that black colour. Never tried it myself.
I find/found blackthorn a very heavy stick so sold mine on.
Also if you dry it out too fast then it'll crack. Best do it slowly and wait it out , in the mean time buy a cheapy say off ebay.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Depends what finish you want....taking the bark off will allow it to dry out much faster.

I was probably a little premature but only waited a month after debarking a 3/4" hazel stave for my father....now its dry and got 6 coats of stain on it with some nice bits to embelish it (pics will follow when complete)

Mojo

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
ive got a few drying on radiators at the moment probably not the best way but when they get warm they are easy to straighten and it works for me

The rule of thumb is to allow one year for every inch of thickness, allow it to season slowly and in the right conditions, if it seasons to fast it will warp or crack, patience may not be your strong point but in this instance it is by far the best virtue you can have...

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
thanks for the info guys ! I will put it up in the loft space as its probably the warmest part of the house , hopefully i wont forget about it !!! ;)

knightfisher

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'd get a system going, in fact i'm going to very shortly myself, get some sticks one year and hang em in the shed tied together around a broom handle (helps straighten them) then next year do the same but by then you'll have plenty of sticks to be working on. keep it up and you shouldn't run out.
tbh when i cut my current staff 2 winters ago i stuck it in my gas cupboard until about june. i cut it in dec. it dried well and is a good sturdy stick.
Pete

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
pete , im not sure if u'll know the answer but ... if i varnish a stick too early will that trap the remaining moisture within the stick and cause it to rot inside out ??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE