Seasoning Blackthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I've got a lovely Blackthorn trunk, as wide as my arm, and as long as my leg, that I'd like to make something nice out of one day. I understand that Blackthorn needs careful seasoning, and I was wondering if leaving it horizontal in the cupboard under the stairs for a year would be suitable.

Pappa

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Pappa said:
I've got a lovely Blackthorn trunk, as wide as my arm, and as long as my leg, that I'd like to make something nice out of one day. I understand that Blackthorn needs careful seasoning, and I was wondering if leaving it horizontal in the cupboard under the stairs for a year would be suitable.

Pappa

The usual advice seems to be to seal the ends and leave horizontal somewhere dry with an even cool temperature for about a year.This should avoid skakes.

F

fastbreak

Pappa said:

Pappa

I suggest you dip the ends (or paint them) in wax, ordinary candle wax is fine. This dramatically reduces the likelihood of splitting at the ends, because wood loses moisture through the end grain much more quickly than from the sides, particularly when the bark is till on, but even if it is removed. The wood is best seasoned out-doors and assume a rate of 2 inches thickness per year. I suspect yours will take a couple of years. It is best to keep it off the ground if possible. If you season it indoors with central heating, it will probably split anyway.

Have fun

Mike

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Ah, thanks. I've got some Arbex tree wound sealant. I assume that would be a good choice to seal the ends. I don't have a shed or garage, so I think under the stairs will have to do. It's cool and dry, so hopefully, it'll be OK. I'll just have to be very patient.

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE