Seasonal Canine Illness.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hi all, thought I'd post a timely warning to any dog owners on here, as my mates Border Collie has just gone down with SCI and is currently very poorly at the vets.

Seasonal Canine Illness.
The disease comes on very quickly, usually within 24-72 hours of having walked in a woodland area. The most common clinical signs reported are:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea (which can vary from watery to bloody)
  • Tummy (abdominal) pain
  • Lethargy (or reluctance to move)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Shaking or trembling
  • High temperature (fever)
The most common clinical signs are sickness, diarrhoea and lethargy. If you suspect your dog is showing symptoms of SCI then please contact your vet immediately.
http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/seasonal_illness.html

http://www.youtube.com/ahttv

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
My gf is a vet, she says they don't really know what causes it but there might be a link to harvest mites.
Little orange mites in their paws/ears.

Hope your mates collie gets well soon.
Andy

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Spoke to my vet just last week, and mentioned that I had just read about this, he said that not sure what causes it, very rare and hard to diagnose, could be a fungus or mite, majority of cases involved a wood with a stream or river and possible laburnum trees / bushes.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hope your mates collie gets well soon.

Thanks for the good wishes. Pip is now out of the woods :) and has made a full recovery. He just needs to work off the £600 vet bill.

Feature on Countryfile tonight. part one just been on and theyre coming back to it later in the show

It was good to see it highlighted. I'd not really heard much about it until my mates dog fell ill.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Following the Countryfile programme, i could not understand it being suspected as being linked to harvest mites due to the expert receiving bites around his ankles. It doesn't seem to be very scientific if the affected canines have not been found to have become ill/died from a disease carried by these mites. So so far i've heard it possibly linked to algae poisoning water sources, mite disease transmission and toxic fungus/mould spores. Not a particularily positive diagnosis so far.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Following the Countryfile programme, i could not understand it being suspected as being linked to harvest mites due to the expert receiving bites around his ankles.....

We also get bitten by the same mosquitos that dogs and cats do but we don't get heartworms from it; they do. That has to do with their body temp being high enough to support them whereas ours isn't. As to the disease in question though, seasonal Canine Illness, I've also seen the other theories; algae, etc. I don't think anybody really knows yet.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
We also get bitten by the same mosquitos that dogs and cats do but we don't get heartworms from it; they do. That has to do with their body temp being high enough to support them whereas ours isn't. As to the disease in question though, seasonal Canine Illness, I've also seen the other theories; algae, etc. I don't think anybody really knows yet.

Hi Santaman,

Bit odd that they haven't isolated the cause yet given the number of suspected cases though? Seems like a bit of a cross between who is prepared to fund the investigations required perhaps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE