Blue-Green Algae Toxicity in Dogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Following on from Baggy's thread re. Seasonal Canine Ilness.

I received some info on the Blue-green algae toxicity problem the other day, thought it may be some use for others..........

Blue Green Algae Toxicity in Dogs
This is a warning about another Summer Hazard which can make your dog very seriously ill. Blue Green Algae tends to flourish slightly later on in the Season - but it will affect many ponds.
You can ask any park keepers/rangers what the situation is. On the Heath they usually post warning notices. If in doubt - keep your dog out of the water.

Dog owners are warned to steer well clear of stagnant ponds when catching some late summer sun with their pet. According to a leading veterinary charity, this is ideal weather for highly toxic 'blue-green algae' to bloom. This can kill if dogs drink contaminated water or swim in it and then groom themselves.

Senior Veterinary Surgeon at PDSA, Elaine Pendlebury, said: "Toxins produced by, or contained within, some types of algae are extremely poisonous and death is common and rapid – symptoms occur within 15 minutes to one hour of exposure. Death can happen within 10 to 30 minutes of this and usually within 24 hours of swallowing the toxin."

Algae can be more concentrated at water edges and even small amounts of water can contain lethal doses. In some instances, dogs have been found dead at the edge of the water.

The first signs of a problem include severe vomiting which may contain blood which then can lead to more serious symptoms. With the more toxic algae, breathing difficulties, collapse and death can develop within 15 minutes of exposure to the toxin. Although affected dogs can survive if treated quickly, clinical effects may show over a longer period of time and they may develop kidney or liver failure.

Elaine concludes: "Blue-green algae is particularly prevalent at this time of year, especially with this late summer sun we are currently enjoying. So we want dog owners to be aware of just how dangerous it can be. Dogs are particularly at risk when they drink from watering holes like ponds where the algae has spread rapidly, usually when it is sunny and the water has a high temperature."

Owners should beware of any stagnant pools. Algae can live on the surface or the bottom of the water, so the pond won't always have a scum on the surface.

Though known as blue-green algae, it can vary in colour – some are red and some are black as well as blue-green.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I brought this up in a post last month titled -"Backpacking with dogs " but a few in the thread seemed to dismiss the dangers of it -

We in Uk have had a problem with some parts of fresh water mainly lakes ,ponds ,still water where dogs have died from drinking water
contaminated with blue/green algae , link below not sure if you have this in USA ? .
I take my dogs everywhere with me and try to ensure they drink from drinking water where possible by taking a cheap dog drinking bottle filled with fresh water , this particular blue/green algae threat has occured several times now but only in recent few years all you can do is try to be vigilant .
Just found another link which shows you do have same problem in USA , see below .
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...kill-your-dog

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
They have this problem in Australia.

There is a large brackish estuary near where I grew up. About 30 years ago they started getting a blue/green algae bloom in the estuary - there were several dog deaths before the publicity stopped people walking their dogs along the shoreline.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE