Search and Rescue Dummy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I may have lured you all in here under false illusions of a video showing an idiot needing rescue by S&R...but sadly there isn't (post is still related to S&R though ;) )

I've come to the point where, after about 5 years of wanting to do something to help people, I chose to apply for volunteer work in the way of St Johns First Responder and also Search and Rescue teams.

Now, I was under no illusion that getting onto a team, with my aged knowledge and lack if relevant experience, would be easy.
However, my local team replied to my emails...said I wasn't suitable due to reasons above really, as I expected, but did say I could help out as a casualty.
I've never been so happy to be a dummy haha.
Hopefully, this will be a foot in the door, and will give me chance to get my skills back up to scratch over the next year or two before the next intake :cool:

Does anybody else on here volunteer as a Responder or Search and Rescue Technician (if they are called technicians that is)?

It's something I have toyed with for too long and I actually can't wait to get out there and sit waiting to be rescued :p (although I'll always want to be one of the guys carrying the stretcher :( )

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done for volonteering for such work!
Make sure you have good thermals and waterproofs for the dummy work!
I have played the part of a dummy in the past (no training needed...) but not in the past many years.
As to First Responder - good on you!
A FR was the first contact I had with life saving teams when a bloke in our church collapsed and BOY was I glad to see him! Although I am 2st Aid trained (and always current for the past 20+ years) I was getting quite anxious as the bloke was fading fast despite my efforts and I lost his pulse just as the FR came in the door!
We actually got the bloke from no output to spontanious output using CPR - brought him back to life in effect he only lasted a week in Hospital though ...
Your volonteering should not go unrecognised!
Again - Well done!

i have to echo John's sentiments
well done for volunteering even a dummy has its uses and by acting one you will provide realism to the training.

i've done emergency aid at work training and the only (touch wood) time i have used it is when i found a member of agency staff collapsed on the floor.

ps John- a week is still more than the gentleman would of had if you hadn't been there

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I wouldn't need training to be a dummy even if there was training needed haha.
I know the dummy part isn't Search and Rescue, but being around those who are doing the rescuing is sure to rub off on me a little and I'm sure they will be willing to offer help and advice for prospecting members :)

Good that you got the guy 'back to life', shame he only lasted a week afterwards :(
I've only be trained in First Aid for a matter of months. I chose to do the course as I knew NOTHING!!! Now, I want more, and it's a great way to help the public etc, like I want to be doing.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
0nce you have done some bodying for that bunch over the hill have an ask about bodying for SARDA as well. A couple of team members are involved and SARDA are always looking for people how are prepared to get up early at weekends to get cold wet and bored.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well done for volentering your time, any help is welcomed by most organisations,

I am a member of Suffolk Rover Rescue, we work close with RAYNET and also Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue, offering Transport to the Teams, as well as working with the surrounding 4xA Responce teams in the neighbouring Countys.

If you do have a 4x4 look up your local team on the internet, if your a Ham try offering some time to RAYNET, if not may be have a go at passing your Ham test...

Theres also loads of work that can be done, thats is not at the sharp end but all organisations need extra hands from time to time, may eb offer to help with fund rasing?

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Well done for volunteering. I'm the secretary of a team covering south and west wales and we're always on the lookout for volunteers.

Luckily we have two grades of member that attend callout. There's Operational (fully hill fit racing snakes who run up and down mountains) and Operational Support (not physically able to be a full Operational member but still able to drive vehicles, operate radios, etc and still go out in a search party on the less demanding terrain). Lucky for me as I'm a bit past my prime but even so I'm a qualified Casualty Carer, water search trained and currently improving my cliff rescue technical skills!

Even better, we don't expect new members to have experience climbing K2. You can teach skills and gain experience but enthusiasm and commitment to get out of bed at 2am in the pouring rain are rare commoditys!

I second Eds' suggestion about SARDA. A good bunch of guys who're always looking for new bodies.

If you're going to help with the team's training there are some things to remember.
  • take an iPod.
  • Good waterproofs are worth their weight in gold.
  • Take a piece of roll mat or some other insulating material to sit on.
  • You get very cold very quick when sitting still so wrap up warm.
  • Consider taking a lightwight stove or flask for warm drinks.
  • Sun block is a must, especially if you're ginger (but he did look really funny!)
  • Check your 2 way radio works before heading out
  • Ask for an anti emetic (anti vomiting) tablet before they strap you in to the stretcher ready for the very bumpy carry off.
  • Have a pee before they strap you in to the stretcher ready for the very long carry off.
  • You can trust the ropes even when your immobile, strapped in to the stretcher and dangling 50m above the rocky floor. It's scary as hell!
  • If you're a casulaty and pretending to be injured be as obnoxious, loud and difficult as you can be. Not only is it fun but you put the guys under more pressure. Train hard, fight easy.
  • If you're working with SARDA don't take smelly sandwiches. It makes the job too easy for the dogs and is cheating.
  • Also make sure the dog can't get at your sandwiches when they finally find you. Spaniels are greedy buggers! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I tried volunteering for the Norfolk Mountain rescue team, but couldn't find their number...

But seriously, I use to be part of the casualty team down on the South Coast back when I was a life guard. We would be asked to take part in joint exercises with RNLI, Coastguard, Fire, Ambulance, Police and Red Cross. I've had a broken leg on a sinking ferry, slipped into a diabetic comma on a hovercraft, crashed my light aircraft into a mudflap on a rising tide, been contaminated with an unknown agent in a multiple vehicle incident and a burns victim on a yacht fire.

Been a long time since I did that and you've re-sparked my interest. Now I'm not living on the coast, maybe SAR dummy might be good for me. My only problem is anyone that has met me wouldn't bother to look for me, apparently I've got "one of those" sense of humours.

FCDisaster

Apr 11, 2012
Chepstow, Monmouthshire
Hi Madgaz, I am currently in the process of rejoining a team called SARAID, they are an international urban search and rescue team. They do get involved in the occasional lowland search but the bread and butter is collapsed buildings. They openly state that they recruit people from all walks of life and there is extensive training.

http://www.saraid.org.uk/

Have a look at the website and see what you think.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
EdS, I might just give them a go. I wouldn't mind training my dog up as a rescue dog, but at 9 he's getting a little long in the tooth (despite having all the characteristics of being a good search dog)

Big Stu, Cheers. I would love to be at the sharp end, but know I've got to work myself up there. I'll be doing as much of the back stage stuff as they'll let me, but starting as a casualty at least gets me out in the fresh air a bit more often :D

Nigel, some EXCELLENT advice there, cheers. Now, I'm not ginger, but I'm guessing there is a story behind that? :D;) I'll leave the cheese and tuna sandwiches at home if I have a go with SARDA then :(

Jack, if they discriminate against 'one of those' sense of humours, I too will be sat for a long time:pirate:

FCDisaster, I will look at the website, but don't think I could warrant the time to commit to overseas work. I'll dip my toe locally, but who knows where it might take me in years to come when the family has grown up? I'll have a butchers at the website though :cool:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Madgaz -- if you get chance to body on the Cas. Care exam day go for it. Its a really good day - I bodies for their's this year. There are usually members from a number of other teams doing the course so it is also a good way make contacts to help other local teams out - i.e. Dales & Peninne ones

Once you have done some MR bodying and got to know some of the other teams - there is the slippery slope to being a cave rescue casualty (two local MR teams are also cave rescue ones) - now that is fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE