sealskinz

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
has anyone seen these socks anywhere for cheeper than the average £25 - £30? would like the give them a go but a bit of a pricy test!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Don't know about the socks but the gloves were not up to outdoor living (horse handling etc.) I have had 3 pairs and they all leaked :roll: - maybe the socks are better................

I'd recommend goretex oversocks as a more versatile answer for dry feet. You can get perfectly good Army surplus ones quite cheap :wink: .

Ted W

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
My experience of sealskinz are HOT FEET! If I wear them all day I can literally ring the sweat out of my inner socks, not very breathable IMO.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I agree with familne about hot feet when wearing Sealskinz. They're invaluable when standing about in boggy or marshy land, or when following a shallow stream to its source for long periods but I've learnt by my mistakes and don't wear them for general bushcrafty or hiking activities. They reek after a few days solid use too but that might just be me... :wink:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I wore Sealskinz a few years ago (apparently the deisgn has changed since then) with mixed results. In winter I appreciated the extra warmth, but the moisture retention was almost hazardous in extreme cold; and to be honest I never found them to be especially comfortable. Mind you, they were much cheaper than usual because I picked up a pair of white ones at a heavy discount. Really practical outdoor colour, white...

For general hiking I gave up on waterproof socks, finding that good wool socks kept my feet much more comfortable when wet not least because any water that gets inside Sealskinz tends to stay there. If I was standing around in wet conditions then perhaps I'd reconsider, but on the other hand I expect I'd favour a pair of wellies or Bean boots instead. For the price of one pair of Sealskinz you can get two pairs of Smartwool. No contest for my purposes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE