Seagulls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
drat said:
I've head alcaselzer or some thing that gives of gas will kill them.because they can't get ride of the gas.you just throw a piece of it to them. and when they swallow it will give the gas. :D
i have never tried this!!!

I've heard of this too. Truth or urban legend?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've heard it too... never witnesssed it though.

Some pest control services have hawks nowadays. We had some arrive for disposing of a rat problem and they had a pair of gorgeous Harris Hawks in the back of the van. I asked if I could take one, and he said I could try, but only if he could watch....

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Your local pest control should be able to help, they don't shoot the gulls, they shoot the eggs - they are less likely to attack if they have no eggs and it also reduces the next population of gulls in a city.

Of course if we were better at dealing with our rubbish, they wouldn't in the cities.

Oh you might want to check this out,

http://www.deteragull.co.uk/ - did a quick google, this is what I found :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Spikey DaPikey said:
The "silent" systems work with teenagers too!
Visited a macdonalds with some explorer scouts and as we got out of the car the teenagers held their ears and ran for cover complaining of the noise. When I looked around there was a mosquito repeller speaker on the wall, I couldn't hear a thing but would be really effective against nuisance teens!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Shooters should acquaint themselves with The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA) and comply accordingly. Particular note should be made of the restriction imposed by Section 5, which makes it an offence to use an automatic or semi-automatic weapon which has a magazine capacity of more than two rounds, to kill any wild bird. The definition also encompasses Section 1 (Firearms Act 1968 as amended) pump-action and semiautomatic shotguns, and any rifles whether bolt-action, pump-action or semiautomatic, with such magazines, including air weapons. However, a person will not be guilty of this offence if they have obtained a specific licence for themselves from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - 0117 372 8903 (general enquiries). Any person committing this offence may also commit an offence of failing to comply with the conditions of his/her firearm certificate if he/she is only authorised for vermin control.

Any landowner giving permission to anyone who does not hold the appropriate DEFRA licence to use a Section 1 shotgun or any rifle with a magazine capacity of more than two rounds for such activities, will also commit an offence under Section 5.

The shooter does not need to have even taken a shot. If he/she is in possession of such a weapon with the intention of shooting wild birds, he/she commits an offence under Section 18 WCA, which is treated as if the offence had actually been committed.

On conviction, a court can order the forfeiture of anything used to commit the offence, including firearms or even vehicles (Section 21 WCA).

Whilst there is little dispute that birds such as wild geese and Canada geese are destructive and a nuisance to farmers, etc., they are not legally classified as vermin by either the RSPB or DEFRA. In fact all birds are protected.

Notwithstanding this, the Secretary of State for the Environment issues an official decree every two years which amounts to an exemption from the usual prohibitions placed on the killing of specific species of wild birds with Section 1 shotguns. The following thirteen species are at the moment included in this exemption:

Canada GooseBranta Canadensis
Crow Corvus corone
Collared Dove Stretopelia decaocto
Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus
Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
Herring Gull Larus argentatus

Jackdaw Corvus monedulaJay Garrulus glandariusMagpie Pica picaFeral Pigeon Columbia livia
Rook Corvus frugilegusWood Pigeon Columba palumbus
On 10th February 2005, under Section 16 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, DEFRA issued an amendment to their general licence (WLF18) list. As from 28th February 2005, (commencement of new licence year), House Sparrow (Passer Domesticus) and Starling (Sternus Vulgaris), are removed and Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis) added.

(see www.defra.gov.uk/news/2005/050210a.htm )

There are many species of animals which are protected - far too many to list here. They are all included in The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is every shooter's responsibility to ensure that they do not kill or harm such species.

More information on this subject can be obtained from the British Association of Shooting and Conservation.

hope that is of some help.

Peter Pan

Jan 9, 2006
Acton, London
I have experienced this situation before when following on from a dilapidations case in Bristol I had to replace a roof covering. The answer that an old boy told me was to take away the nests and offspring that the gulls are protecting and this will reduce the risk of attack. It worked.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Fortunately there is a non lethal end to this story.

This morning when I arrived on site the car park attendants were beaming at me. It seems the last chick (which had fallen onto a flat roof - hence the agitated parents) has flown the nest and consequently the adults have also departed.

Everything seems strangely silent now, but at least we can have the windows cleaned and the roof tiles repaired :rolleyes:

Marts :)
(The happy project manager)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE