Sea fishing licence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Looks like this greedy load of low lifes are going to introduce a sea fishing licence . Know there is a petion on blairs web site against it . I always thought the rite to free fishing was enshrined in the magna carta . If they get away with that one next you will need a licence to forage on common land (or your own )

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats stupid, it just another way for the greedy people to make some more cash
leon

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
What's your source ilan? This 'story' seems to pop up every couple of years and never comes to anything. Has there been a new proposal, white paper or something?

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Hi yes there was a paper published in march I saw it on another forum and followed the link to the on line petition so think this has legs but i dont know how to post links ilan

ilan said:
If they get away with that one next you will need a licence to forage on common land (or your own )

you pretty much cannot forage on common land any more as the Countryside and rights of Way act (right to Roam) now covers most of it and that forbids ALL foraging
Havent got to the bottom of public roads sides etc But the Highways agency is one of the groups metioned as part of it etc

Duncan

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
There was a story about this on Radio 4 on Saturday morning. All proceeds of the license were going to go to environmental issues in relation to our shore lines, yea right :rolleyes:

Dave

Well, we all know that Blair likes to pass laws, but how is he going to police it? There simply isn't the resources to do it. Look at the hunting ban (or lack of it) Keep on fishing, there is simply too much coast line to for them to be able to watch all of it, or, if you are fortunate , like me, simply hop over the border to the Republic of Ireland, and fish for free.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Years ago when i used to sea fish (15 now) they tried this, but it came to nothing :) Problem being is that Tony Liar wants to leave as bigger legacy as he can and now he doesnt care who he upsets, it won't be him losing the next general election :rant:

I fear it could be serious, this time. In Belgium, Netherlands and Germany too, voices are raised against "sport" fishing. The trend comes from the US where a battle is raging between pro's and sport fishers about who has right to the billfish or striped bass that's (still) out there.

The basic reason is that professional fishermen , who DO pay heavy licences, are more and more limited in their rights to catch (and that's a eufemism). meanwhile sport fishermen are stepping into the gap, supplying local restaurants etc. with heaps of fresh fish, thereby influencing the market demand for the fishermen-caught fish. That's not fair, is it?
Problem is thus that there are too many fake amateurs on the water. Catch a cod for sport, OK, but 180Kgs?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE