Sea Buckthorn berries

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi guys, I found a really nice patch of sea buckthorn near to home, with loads of berries. Looked them up in the Plants for a Sustainable Future database, which said they were very edible, high in vitamin C and delicious, if very acid. Popular on the continent, apparently.

Accordingly I came home with a batch this morning, and added them to the fruit for the hedgerow jam that I've been making over lunchtime. Initial tastes are quite promising.

Has anyone else eaten Sea Buckthorn berries, and what did you do with them?

Incidentally, the aforesaid jam also has Guelder Rose berries in it, which I've also never used. Anyone done anything with them?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm sea buckthorn, an aquired taste for some, like slightly turned orange juice to some but I think more of an orange soda, a bit like orange cremola foam to those that remember it. Supposed to be very good for you and a rare source of vit C for long periods. (Ray Mears Wild Food did a wee bit on it which was pretty good). Bugger to harvest but worth it if you like the taste. Makes a fantastic partner to pork and game birds.
Cheers
GB.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
If you add some sugar to the juice it makes a pleasant fruit drink. I always go to the next step and added some yeast to make a very pleasant wine.
I prune the branches from some bushes that encroach onto a little used footpath and then de-berry them when I get home, I find I get stabbed a lot less this way than trying to pick them in the wild.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE