sea beat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Shellfish and seaweed I am very fond of, but actual plants around the seashore I am needing to brush up on this year which is a big aim of mine. Last year I wanted to ID at least 10 new edible mushrooms which I exceeded, as well as plants like sweet cicely, but mainly offshore ID.

So, rural Scotland, up in the Moray Firth, where the climate is not so great.... But not as bad as over on the west coast! Sea beet is my first of the year and I look to have it nailed. I forgoed eating it until I had a positive ID but am fairly happy with my ID now and it is growing in abundance. Has anyone got any experience of eating it? If so, ideas on prep and how does it taste? Can it be eaten raw? (rather cook it anyway). It is kinda tough looking so I am assuming a kale/cabbage type substitute?

Any views on it would be much appreciated! :)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The younger the leaves the better, It tastes like kale and is better fried in butter or peanut oil than boiled IME.
Samphire is the seashore veg of choice if you can find it.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Managed Samphire last year, was hoping for sea buckthorn also but google tells me I am in the wrong area :/ Not that I have hear great reviews about it but berries are a good addition. Rock as opposed to marsh samphire, yet to find the boggy stuff!

A fav seaweed of mine is thongweed. Have you tried it? Loverly stuff :D

The younger the leaves the better, It tastes like kale and is better fried in butter or peanut oil than boiled IME.
Samphire is the seashore veg of choice if you can find it.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Not tried Thongweed as it has patchy distribution along the south coast and the Solent has 4 tides a day to redistribute the plastics and garbage from the Channel.
Its not an area conducive to collecting stuff from the water.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Managed to get this off my camera at last - so just to help with my ID from those in the know, would this be sea beet?! :)

seabeet2.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
That's sea beet... It just has thicker stems and a slight sun blush, its a young plant.

It can be cooked just like spinach, steamed with a few drops of balsamic/cracked black pepper/butter or turned into a stew 10 mins before the end.
Unlike supermarket spinach, it keeps a large amount of mass so it go's a long way. Too much might be a bit of a nutrient OD for your system resulting in a mild case of deli-belly :)

The young, soft leaves can be used raw (once washed) in salads.

http://www.hayling.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30495

Wlo71.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE