Scrap forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Have no idea how to upload photos but I'm quite pleased with my new forge setup... it was free!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49911337@N05/sets/72157624007012672/

4581618517_740212fcbb.jpg

4585085202_76b296c369.jpg

4585083538_59f3bbe712.jpg

I needed a manual blower as I have no power supply where I forge so I butchered a broken leaf blower and was given a bike... I've cross bred the two to make a pedal powered blower!

The forge is an old car wheel on top of an empty tin of red oxide paint, no welding needed. Its nothing special but as I say it was free and it works!

ps the forge in the photo has an 12v air mattress pump running off my land rover but the new bellows are now plumbed in, :D

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I like that. - very very nice.

I have been after a hand cranked blower for a while - but I could never really see a way of making a bicycle work.

Andy

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
That is a great little forge. I want to have a go at making one soon so will have to look up all the forge posts on here to get some ideas.

Does the car tyre rim the heat OK?

That is a great little forge. I want to have a go at making one soon so will have to look up all the forge posts on here to get some ideas.

Does the car tyre rim the heat OK?

Well the car wheel was free so if it doesn't last I will just get another. However I have lined it with clay (cat litter) to give it some insulation, and to block some of the holes. It is bottom blast with a simple drilled plate tuyer (sp!?), all very servicable and perhaps more efficient that I need.

Leo

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great job, very clever.
I've used leaf blowers for years and one of the best things to use them for was starting and sustaining damp bonfires. Just used to sit it down pointed at the base on just over tick over, and it worked like a dream without fuel needed on the green/damp materials most of the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE