Scouts Young and Old?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's resulted in big arguments in the States with the Guides complaining the Scouts are 'stealing' their recruits. I think there's a case going to the courts over it or there was; may be wrong.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's resulted in big arguments in the States with the Guides complaining the Scouts are 'stealing' their recruits. I think there's a case going to the courts over it or there was; may be wrong.

IIRC I thought it was more initially that the Scouts that were getting pressured to accept Girls into the institution?

I just assumed it would have worked the other way also.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
True.

My son went to Scouts and my daughter to Brownies; she lasted three weeks because it was too 'girly' for her. She wasn't interested in the kind of 'craft' stuff they were doing and wanted to be getting involved with the far more exciting things her brother was doing. Then, she wasn't allowed to join the Cubs which would have suited her much better.

Reactions: TeeDee

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
A
Cub, Scout joined the Army, then Cub and Scout leader am about to step down though as I wasn’t feeling it as we went in to Lockdown and I’m not missing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cub, Scout joined the Army, then Cub and Scout leader am about to step down though as I wasn’t feeling it as we went in to Lockdown and I’m not missing it.

friend of mine I was in Ventures with, now a GSL is making noises about doing the same, mind he's been a leader for the thirty years I have been out of it

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Gosh , that seems somewhat.... odd.

Thanks for putting me right.
And right back at the start of Scouting there were Girl Scouts, but I gather the joe public that wrote letters to newspapers wasn't impressed with girls doing what boys did for Girl Guiding to come into being of which did not go down well with the Girl Scouts as the training focus was shifted.

• Wow
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And right back at the start of Scouting there were Girl Scouts, but I gather the joe public that wrote letters to newspapers wasn't impressed with girls doing what boys did for Girl Guiding to come into being of which did not go down well with the Girl Scouts as the training focus was shifted.

Sorry just wanting to clarify , So were the troops mixed sex ? or do you mean there was a separate Boy Scouts organisation and Separate Girl Scouts?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'm currently an Explorer Scout leader, and have been for all my adult life. I must admit that 'i'm losing the love' a little bit at the moment - online meetings via 'zoom' are a chore rather than a pleasure to be honest for me (and i suspect, most other leaders too), but hopefully its a temporary blip. I suspect the movement will nonetheless shrink in the short/medium term due to covid impacts, and critically lose a large cohort of its experienced leadership. One of the biggest personal blows to me is the closure (hopefully not permanent but who knows) of Broadstone Warren - the huge scout site in the Ashdown Forest - we used its pretty much unique size/nature for a number of large events, and there aren't really any obvious and viable alternatives that i can see.

Scouting adds an incredible dimension to bushcrafting - the enjoyment that people derive passing on skills (and crucially, enthusiasm) to young people is significant, and to anyone vaguely interested in getting involved, i would thoroughly commend it. Your input can be as much or as little as you would like. As a 'Occasional Helper' or similar you can just offer up your skills to the scouts in the area, dipping into camps and group evenings to pass on your knowledge and enthusiasm as and when it suits you.

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
Just dug out my first knife, I was ten when I was given this by the old man. Its in the same condition and completely untouched. Look at the grind, imagine a kid on his dad's bench grinder sharpening this, lol. First thing we did at a Scout meeting, after all the faf, was to sharpen our knives. Still remember one of our Scout leaders, ginger haired squaddy called Nobby. He'd sit us all in a circle and sharpen all the knives on a big old water stone. Good times
533ee0e42a2c32038ca008b6898ba624.jpg
538aac5c546e2a4361c8c6b7799117b5.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Sorry just wanting to clarify , So were the troops mixed sex ? or do you mean there was a separate Boy Scouts organisation and Separate Girl Scouts?
There were reports of mixed sex groups in addition to single sex Girl and Boy Scout groups

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Just dug out my first knife, I was ten when I was given this by the old man. Its in the same condition and completely untouched. Look at the grind, imagine a kid on his dad's bench grinder sharpening this, lol. First thing we did at a Scout meeting, after all the faf, was to sharpen our knives. Still remember one of our Scout leaders, ginger haired squaddy called Nobby. He'd sit us all in a circle and sharpen all the knives on a big old water stone. Good times
533ee0e42a2c32038ca008b6898ba624.jpg
538aac5c546e2a4361c8c6b7799117b5.jpg

I had one of them just like it, no idea what happened to it. I also 'won' a knife in scouting as part of an unexpected award ; A pretty but rather less useless William Rogers Stag handled lockback Hunter ( 4 inch blade ), still have it. But the one knife that served me well all the way through my scouting history to still have here in front of me was a Victorinox Champion I was given in 77.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveAC

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I had one of them just like it, no idea what happened to it. I also 'won' a knife in scouting as part of an unexpected award ; A pretty but rather less useful William Rogers Stag handled lockback Hunter ( 4 inch blade ), still have it. But the one knife that served me well all the way through my scouting history to still have here in front of me was a Victorinox Champion I was given in 77.

They were a very popular with our scouts, but useless for playing splits as if they hit handle first the handle could shatter and you were left with a stick tang knife.
My Mora Scout was much better, especially with the balance.

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
They were a very popular with our scouts, but useless for playing splits as if they hit handle first the handle could shatter and you were left with a stick tang knife.
My Mora Scout was much better, especially with the balance.

Splits, now that brings back painful memories.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Was a scout in the 1960's. The troop was based near the REME CVD in Feltham SW London. I don't know for certain but I think the scout master and assistant were either army or ex army; they were very keen on drill being exactly right which was a right pain. The rest was good. I believe there is less emphasis on drill these days :)

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I'm currently an Explorer Scout leader, and have been for all my adult life. I must admit that 'i'm losing the love' a little bit at the moment - online meetings via 'zoom' are a chore rather than a pleasure to be honest for me (and i suspect, most other leaders too), but hopefully its a temporary blip. I suspect the movement will nonetheless shrink in the short/medium term due to covid impacts, and critically lose a large cohort of its experienced leadership. One of the biggest personal blows to me is the closure (hopefully not permanent but who knows) of Broadstone Warren - the huge scout site in the Ashdown Forest - we used its pretty much unique size/nature for a number of large events, and there aren't really any obvious and viable alternatives that i can see.

Scouting adds an incredible dimension to bushcrafting - the enjoyment that people derive passing on skills (and crucially, enthusiasm) to young people is significant, and to anyone vaguely interested in getting involved, i would thoroughly commend it. Your input can be as much or as little as you would like. As a 'Occasional Helper' or similar you can just offer up your skills to the scouts in the area, dipping into camps and group evenings to pass on your knowledge and enthusiasm as and when it suits you.
The world after Covid will be a lot different, a lot of things that were changing gradually will be speeded up. I know that charities large and small are being impacted and what will emerge is leaner and slimmer organisations. I expect at some point the guides and scouts will merge into one organisation, forced by economic circumstance and changing demographics.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Was a scout in the 1960's. The troop was based near the REME CVD in Feltham SW London. I don't know for certain but I think the scout master and assistant were either army or ex army; they were very keen on drill being exactly right which was a right pain. The rest was good. I believe there is less emphasis on drill these days :)
That's a pity as regards the drilling as I understand Baden Powell was opposed to scouts drilling through being a promoter of what he called 'Peace Scouting' of which was for the purpose of preventing war.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE