Scouts Young and Old?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
What with thoughts of returning to Scouting after a thirty year absence, I got to wondering how many Bushcrafters are ex Scouts, hell how many Bushcrafters are Scouts, be it Scout or Scouter?

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Yes, I'm an ex Scout...2nd Linwood Scouts, from Renfrewshire, from about '85 till I joined the army in '89.

Where my bushy and wildcamping roots sprouted from I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ex scout from longer ago than I care to remember. Unfortunately our Skip changed soon after I joined and, instead of a wizened old lady that had been everywhere and done everything, the new bloke had spent less dirt time than me and took the group in a far less 'outdoors' direction. I still learnt a lot of valuable stuff though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I knew several old guys who had bought houses and medows and very attractive collections of tools and books and skills and knowledge and we visited them regularly and learned incredibly much.

I think it is complicated to integrate oneself into an existing youth structure and better to offer somehow an own space where groups can come along.

But as I see, in the German Boy Scout internet forum are several groups that search for support and leaders.

I personally never did care about the age of a person and always had friends in every age.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Brownie, and girl guide, in the 60's and 70's and brownie leader (snowy owl) at one point in the 80's. I was called snowy owl by the girls. for some reason they didn't want to call me brown owl. Never did get to the bottom of it, so just accepted it.
We had so much fun, I brought back some of the stuff I remembered doing as a brownie, and they loved it. I wasnt a standard brown owl of the time! Sadly had to disband the pack as I was running meetings with 20 girls on my own,and it was considered unsafe, by the powers that be.!! That was a very sad day. We all cried.
Also attended girls brigade, in the 70's.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Yes, I'm an ex Scout...2nd Linwood Scouts, from Renfrewshire, from about '85 till I joined the army in '89.

Where my bushy and wildcamping roots sprouted from I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I was 15th St Helens, Cubs and Scouts and 15th/2nd St Helens Venture scouts and an ASL in the 2nd for two years before leaving in '89 through having joined the RAF.

And I know Scouting is where my interest came from as the 15th were big on backwoodsmanship and pioneerng and the 2nd, Moutaineering and pot holing.

Now I am going back to Scouting Albeit where I now live in Devon.

Reactions: TeeDee

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Cub, Scout joined the Army, then Cub and Scout leader am about to step down though as I wasn’t feeling it as we went in to Lockdown and I’m not missing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not that I have children but can someone tell me is it now possible for Young Ladies to join Scouts and for Young Boys to join Guides? Is that correct?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE