Scouts wild camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraft kid

Apr 7, 2015
England
Hello everybody
so i am a Scout (soon to be explorer) and next weekend i will be doing my first wild camp... but with no tents just tarps and shelter. i already know how to make a double lean to with fire reflector and raised beds and walls but i don't know what to take on this camp. We will have access to toilets and fresh water because my scout hut has a forest we will be camping in. My leaders already have hatchets, knifes and saws (but due to us being scouts there not sharp at all except the knife) so i wont need to pack them so any advice on what else to pack along with:
- multi tool
- rucksack
- tarp
- survival bag
- sleeping bag
- roll mat
- Swedish army trangia with fuel and burner
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- flint and steel (ferro rod)

would be much appreciated

thanks Dan :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Wild or bivvy camp? (EDIT: proper 'wild' or scout camp site 'wild but under controlled conditions')

Soft toilet paper and nappy sacks (or matches) ~ toilet paper doesn't bio-degrade very quickly, better to not bury it ;) . I suspect your leaders would prefer you to carry waste out rather than deal with any potential fallout from getting you to burn the waste paper ;) .

Ferro rod and striker and/or matches ~ or are they going to be supplied?

Cordage for rigging tarp?

You mention Swedish Army Cook Set but not burner and/or fuel.

Is water being supplied, are you going to need to source and make it fit for drinking?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Survival bag. Is that one of the plastic ones. If so ok for a ground sheet but wouldn't get in one.
Do you need a multi tool when cutting tools are provided.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Imo blunt tools can be more dangerous to use than sharp ones because they require you to exert more effort and force thereby making you more likely to slip. You're going to need cordage, a good sharp knife, some tinder for your Ferro rod and I would advise some food. Basically anything you would take regular camping minus a tent, end of the day wild camping if you build a shelter that effectively becomes your tent

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Imo blunt tools can be more dangerous to use than sharp ones because they require you to exert more effort and force thereby making you more likely to slip. You're going to need cordage, a good sharp knife, some tinder for your Ferro rod and I would advise some food. Basically anything you would take regular camping minus a tent, end of the day wild camping if you build a shelter that effectively becomes your tent

You also get a better class of cut with a sharper tool. Tend to find that it knits and heals better with the cleaner edges.
Are you able to fish and the likes while there? If so some fishing kit would be good.
Not a necessity but personaly I like a book, or if you're feeling social a pack of cards or small portable game can be good.
Some sort if candle or lantern can be handy though at this.time if year it wont be dark for long.
Midge/bug repellent or net would be good too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
A blunt axe is no use- why not get your Leaders to show you how to use one safely.

Assuming the leaders know themselves!
I was on a scout camp at the weekend where the leaders showed little knowledge on the subject. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to be able to offer help
As is the case with all voluntary positions, skill levels can be varied to say the least...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE