Scouts Planning Meeting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hey guys & gals,

I have recently become an ASL at my sons scout troop, I am attending my first planning meeting on Monday & was wondering if other leaders from on here could send me some either:

1, Ideas for normal evenings?
2, Ideas for more adventurous ones?
3, Copies of your itineraries for inspiration?

I hope you all can help & I have looked at varying scouting threads, got some ideas & obviously doing traditional scouting skills are quite high on mine & the kids agenda but other inspirations welcome.:thankyou:

craig

Tenderfoot
It depends on what you are aiming for this coming year. What Challenge Badges and activity badges you going for. Do you have a theme for the coming weeks/term. Examples on what we have coming up this term up to Easter are Hobbies Badge(good for new scouts as its easy to get), Get the fitness challenge started, We have a winter camp(Feb) planned and a evening on keeping warm on camp and cold weather survival(hypothermia symptoms etc), Kayaking in local pool and Climbing Wall, Pioneering, Knots and Lashings. And a wide game or two for good measure.

It does help that our section has four leaders and a few regular helpers as well.

Craig.

Last edited:

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
This term we've done:

Burger Race Race against a leader to be the first to light a fire and cook a burger.

Go Bananas The local Banana Tree is fruiting. Race against the other patrols to be the first to find its secret location and sample the fruit. (basically a map reading evening but you could do it as a treasure hunt with cryptic clues)

Bat World talk by a local expert

Scout Championships Prove yourself at various Scouting Skills to claim a bronze, silver or gold medal.

Plasticine Scouting Get creative and help shape the future of Scouting. (a way of getting info out of them about what they want to do next term by making models)

Fix it - sorting through all our outdoor gear and carrying out minor repairs (completed the quartermasters badge for about half the scouts)

Halloween themed games and activities.

Water, water, everywhere Watery activities plus a visitor. (The visitor was a water engineer who talked about projects he'd worked on and we made working models of archimedes screws)

Ski Sunday a taster session at the local ski centre

Festival of Light Celebrate the dark nights. (lanterns and similar)

Climbing Wall Go vertical with an afternoon of climbing and bouldering.

James Bond evening Being a secret agent isn't all about codes and gadgets, you need to look the part too

Moving on Celebrate what's been and look ahead to what's still to come (we've got lots of young people moving section this term)

And we've had two camps.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want details of anything

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Thanks guys,

We're aiming on getting things going, due to leader issues things had slipped for this troop, it is part of a good group though! the other troop by all accounts is well established with good support, their leaders are supporting us & offering some assistance but obviously there is only so much people should have to do, & I think that was alot of the issue, I want to really make this troop match the other & be as good as my rose tinted's make me recall my scouting experience!

Any one else with itinerary's up for grabs?

Last edited:

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
This next term I'd like to get my troop started on the dragon award(1 night under canvass pcm), finnish off the pioneering badge, start the groundwork for the survival badge(fire by friction/ flint, shelter, food from plants etc), and to get them started on planning their own night hikes.

I also want to do Camp cooking(hobo stove/open fire), intro to different stoves(petrol, gas, parafin & Trangia) and knife skills tests.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Don't forget to include time for this:
The Religious Policy
The Scout Movement includes Members of many different forms of religion. The following policy has received the approval of the heads of the leading religious bodies in the United Kingdom.
All Members of the Movement are encouraged to:
make every effort to progress in the understanding and observance of the Promise to do their best to do their duty to God;
belong to some religious body;
carry into daily practice what they profess.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
This next term I'd like to get my troop started on the dragon award(1 night under canvass pcm), finnish off the pioneering badge, start the groundwork for the survival badge(fire by friction/ flint, shelter, food from plants etc), and to get them started on planning their own night hikes.

I also want to do Camp cooking(hobo stove/open fire), intro to different stoves(petrol, gas, parafin & Trangia) and knife skills tests.

Dragon award is great we have loads with Bronze and some including me with Silver at end of Year hopefully.

Please note that the silver is still camping one night a month plus a challenge each month - the website does not make this plain.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I read it ok then, I interpreted it as "As Bronze, but must also include 12 challenges." Not sure if I should get my december camp in in the back yard, or wait til next year to kick it off. Choices choices.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
You may want to get yourself an account at escouts too.

Loads of great ideas and advice there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I read it ok then, I interpreted it as "As Bronze, but must also include 12 challenges." Not sure if I should get my december camp in in the back yard, or wait til next year to kick it off. Choices choices.

Go for it - I've got Cubs Christmas Sleepover this weekend :lmao:

We must be absolutely stupid - 6 of us are camping out.

I'd agree with dasy2k1 find Escouts we are a friendly bunch

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
I think its very good of you to give your time up.
Some good activities , I did and my son has done.
Sponsored walk aimed at buying one large piece of equipment, lads at work all gave that much we paid for the cooker they wanted and monies from other members bought other stuff, I was shocked at how much support there is from people who dont have time to help out but willhelp with cash.
Indoor camping in the scout hut when its too cold / wet
Ghost walk.
Fire lighting in the rain
Make a survival tin and use it.
I like the burger comp mentioned above.
Why not contact some local clubs for a special night?
Our local Air rifle club provides shooting at Tawd Vale scout camp, so some one more local might.
Scuba club, archery, I am sure some of the people from here would help out and demonstraight varous scouting skills But I am not sure how you would stand with the child protection etc?

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Here's a few ideas for inside / winter activities that have a link to the outside.

Pioneering - lots you can do inside to prepare for next year. We do a lot with twine & bamboo canes (from a garden centre) as you can learn proper knots & lashings.
Cooking - same idea as backwoods but inside. Prep & cook 2 or 3 course meal using single burner and limited saucepans / utensils.
Craftwork - making leather woggles or paracord bracelets always goes down well. All our Scouts have paracord bracelets with emergency whistle buckles
Map reading / navigation - planning & undertaking an evening walk. All the better when the weather is bad ;)

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
If they have not done so already get someone to show you how to use "Programmes Online", I have never used it for long-term planning but for when you need to find something for "tonight" it is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE