Scouts and bushcraft.....HELP... !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I always remember the three things that caught my interest. Making a lean to shelter. Making a bench to sit on. Throwing an axe at a dead tree (though I can't remember if we did this when no one was looking).

Other things I can think of that we did.

Making a stretcher out of two old coats and a couple of poles - then having a race carrying the 'injured'. Four boys carrying a fifth with two others running alongside to take a turn if one of the carriers got tired. there might have been a bit with a triangular bandage being applied as well.

Camouflage - shown the basics of camouflage then split into two teams one hiding along a track and other team walking down the track trying to spot the hidden ones. Then swap over. There was another game that involved stealthy movement.

Food prep, I think ours was fish, certainly don't remember seeing anything that was remotely cute or cuddly.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Jon, I'll go with what Fin said earlier up the page.

No matter what you decide to settle on showing them, preparation and planning is tha key - as a trainer myself in the world of the day job, half the battle is not what you're teaching but how you get it across.

Much better to pick a few things and do them well than try to cover loads of stuff.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Not Scouts, but when I have helped at cubs, having 2-3 bases and another helper or two worrked well. I was doing rope making, someone else did pioneering knots and spars, the third was a signage project for an upcoming camp..
When I did firelighting one night I had thought it was to be a 15min filler in an evening run by the leaders, but it turned out they decided to just do that as it was nice night. I learned that I should always take/plan a backup activity or challange to have ready, even the old "most things in a matchbox" one while I gathered my thoughts or prepared the next demo.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Cor! Enough advice for a decade there! And my 2 pennies worth?

Be enthusiastic. Get them doing stuff ASAP. Enjoy it. Don't kill anyone and you might get invited back to have another play session!

ukarcher

Jul 9, 2006
England
A lot of good advise already, but a couple of points you should always remember when teaching scouts. Some of them will only be ten years old so don't use big words and technical phrases. And one thing I was taught was that if you tell a scout about something they will forget it. If you show a scout something, they may remember it. But if you get them to do something they will learn it.
Good luck and have fun.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
This is of course very true apart from one thing the paperwork. As I always tell my Scouts I dont want them to get hurt adding only because of the paperwork.

I tell them it is less paperwork to lose a scout than have a scout injured, so we will finish 'em off and bury the body:rolleyes: . The worrying thing is they seem to beleive me and focus more:D , not really sure it is good that they beleive it though!:sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE