Scottish Fishing laws

Hi,

I am planning a canoe trip in Scotland and am hoping to stay out a long time, 10 days or more,

could anyone tell me what the laws are on catching and eating trout out of the rivers and Lochs?
I know I could be discrete and I would be anyway, but it's always nice to be within the law.

Would a trout fishing licence cover it?

I know that it is very expensive for a salmon licence and very illegal to catch them without one.

thanks.

B

bushyboo

Hi Matthew
you will need to get a permit for the water you want to fish on
theese can usualy be bought at tackle shops, post offices and local shops neer the water (lochs or rivers) you want to fish
they can be bought for a days fishing and sometimes are cheeper if bought for 3 days + or for a week
where are you planning on going ?

Gordon

This may help or confuse you...

There is a misconception by many folk that it is legal without permit to take wild brown trout (from unstocked waters), but this is not true. It's all very confusing as regards the laws but a rough guide is like thus... if you do get caught fishing for wild brown trout; unless it's a stocked trout or migratory salmon or sea trout water, the owner of the fishing rights has the right to ask you to leave and it is a civil as opposed to a criminal offence I believe:rolleyes:
I don't think the police can do very much unless you refuse to leave however if it is stocked or it is a salmon or sea trout water, then it I think is a criminal offence and baillifffs and the police have unbelievable powers :eek:

Like folk have said, assume that you need a permit and get one.

This link may help

http://www.flyfish-scotland.com/scotslaw.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE