scotland

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya gang

now in may i am thinking of taking a week off work and going to scotland with the hammock and just what i can carry in the rucksack. now i dont want to have to move on everyday. if possible i would like to stay in one place all weeek. do some photography and bushcraft
also i dont want to have to bring water in and also will need some where to park the car

any suggestions and advice please

thanks in advance

drew

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
how far up are you willing to go Drew, the dreaded midge will be out by then dont forget you midgie net, they aint as bad as people make out, a bit of wind or sun and they soon vanish and are really only bad first think in the morning or at evening before sunset. Have you visited Scotland before, if not seems a shame just to stay in one spot, it really is a beautiful country, your best bet would be to pm Shewie or Peterlee paddler, 2 English boys who travel up nearly every weekend, im sure they will have some good tips for you mate.

Col

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well as far as possible to not be spotted by anyone else really and the rason i want to stay in one place is this is the first time to scotland so next time i will move around but for the first i want just stay put really cos then i can do some bushcraft and photograthy and what not

drew

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
could you leave your car at home matey?, using the train or even coaches would open up a lot more areas as your not having to worry about it being nicked. probably wouldn't cost that much more than fuel?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Not nessarliy dude, say you got the train to Inverness, you could go in any manner of directions, or the train to Rannoch moor(if one still stops there), Avimoor, then take a bus to somewhere that's near the start of the trail, with your car you will be very limited as you wont be able to stop over in most lay-bys, in fact if its May, you've got plenty of planning time, What kind of things do you want to see and try to capture on film? what do you plan on taking? how far is to far for walking? do you really want to be miles from a shop, which if closer you could walk to for a resupply on each third day? have you looked at loch Maree?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
fair cop southey lad

i didnt look at it like that and what to far in regards walking well half a days walk would be fine and wouldnt mind being near to a loch cos thats what i really would like to photograph especially the wildlife if i can and the surrounding area but i didnt think there would be a loch that remote that would be in walking distance form the train station mate also a shop near by would be a good thing but then again will i get that remote if a shop is in walking distance

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
if youre taking a hammock - what about:

glentrool_fs.jpg

9780319238424_C_p.jpg

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
could you leave your car at home matey?, using the train or even coaches would open up a lot more areas as your not having to worry about it being nicked. probably wouldn't cost that much more than fuel?

Wouldnt worry too much about your car being nicked, i have been out camping for over 20 years up here and left my defender and works van full of tools for days on empty lay byes with no problems, why would a car thief drive 200 miles into the middle of nowhere when he can just walk round the corner and steal one. I agree with Drew, the car will give him all his requirements, remote enough to be left alone, but not too much hastle getting there. I would suggest loch etive, up by Glencoe, if you check the out and about thread from 3 weeks ago, its got pics and directions in it and anyone whos been to Scotland will tell you glencoe is well worth a visit, glen etive is only 20mins drive away from that....

Colin

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=invergarry+map&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Invergarry,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=57.08191,-4.90016&spn=0.002542,0.006899&t=h&z=17

This spot here was a favourite for a while. It's just past Invergarry on the way to Skye. There is a small track you can park the car on. It's only a short drive from there into Knoydart too. It's about an hour on the road to SKye and about 1.5 hours to Inverness. I camped there with friends for about 3 weeks once and got no bother at all. Loch Garry is gret for swimming in.

If you look closely you can seea clearing in the middle of the frame I've linked too. It's great for pitching a tent and the surrounding woods are good for Hammocks. Firewood can be gathered from various felled forestry patches up the road.

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
it looks like its going to be look etive but it depends on the money situation cos just had to replace two tyres on the car to the 150 knotes so like i say its in the planning stages at the moment but hopefully buy the i will have had some mular saved up drew

@drewdunnrespect Gallowway forest north park (OS 318) as the above posts says is a good choice. The good thing about it is the closeness of the lakes there, with a few smaller ones not shown on the map in 789987s post. Some lakes will be busier than others as there,s a forest drive you can go on for a small fee at a machine and it goes past loch bradon and riecawr. But the other lochs are quiet. linfern loch (the small one at the very top left of the map in 789987s post) seems to me the quietest. Theres a bothy at one end of Loch at mattercarrick as well as good fishing on some of the lochs. Check the forestry commissions website to see which lakes need a permit or not if fishing is your thing .There,s no shops that close though, Hope that helps,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE