Scotland spots for bushcraft ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Looking to head up Scotland for a few nights to practice some bushcraft skills if anyone could recommend a nice spot ?

Hoping to find a nice conifer forest with a lake or some sort of water source.

I've been looking at galloway forest, would this be suitable for what I'm looking for ?

Any help is appreciated :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi Dippa,

Galloway forest is probably the closest over the border for you, it's mostly plantation with a few lochs. I've heard loch trool is nice. Though despite only living an hour away for the past year i've never been. Depending on when you are planning on heading up, why not join some of us at a meet to share skills. Some of us are having our next meetup at loch etive 5th may, details: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144410

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Hi Dippa,

Galloway forest is probably the closest over the border for you, it's mostly plantation with a few lochs. I've heard loch trool is nice. Though despite only living an hour away for the past year i've never been. Depending on when you are planning on heading up, why not join some of us at a meet to share skills. Some of us are having our next meetup at loch etive 5th may, details: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144410

Thanks for the reply Dreadhead. I've been looking at loch trool funny enough, do you know if it's got some deep woodlands where you're able to go off the beaten track ?

I'm planning on going at the end of this month but I might still take you up on that offer :)

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Thanks for the reply Dreadhead :)

Loch trool sounds quite promising but does it have any woodlands ? I'm looking to head off the beaten track if I'm honest.

I'm heading up at the end of this month but I'll be sure to check out the meet in May.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Ypu're right, google maps does show quite a bit around the loch :)

I've been looking just south west of loch trool, near caldons woods - would this be suitable to set up and practice bushcraft you think ?

Thanks

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
As I said, never been. Best way to find out is just to head up. Theres plenty of other wooded areas for backup so you shouldn't have a problem. You could always check walkhighlands and see if there is any hiking information around loch trool area

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE