Scotland for foraging

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
OK never done foraging at all and just wondering what would be commonly available and also what would give you a good return in calories.
Have seen RM pull out cat tails and seemed quite a decent return for effort.
If I'm out I would more than likely be anywhere from Loch Lomond, trossachs or further north and probably not too far from a fresh water supply, not coastal tho.
What could I expect to find?

Cheers,
Stuart

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm told you can find Sloes on the side of the Canal in Glasgow, though I missed them last year.

You should be able to find a bramble bush somewhere, they grow all over the place. - Good for blackberries in late August/ September time.

I've seen the odd Elderberry tree growing here and there too.

All the best
Andy

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Come to think of it I seen plenty of bramble bushes at the side of Loch Lomond and also the ground covered with blaeberry/bilberries at Loch Ard the only other thing I can think of which Ive had a few times was sorrel, nice with a fresh trout.

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi Stuart, Blueberries,raspberries,lots of herbs,lime leaves,hazelnuts,pignuts,all sorts of mushrooms including cep and chantrelle. Then there are plenty rabbit. All depends on season and how extereme you want to go. Add that to your previous responses and you have a larder lol. Don't forget medicinal stuff too like meadowsweet, feverfew and so on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE