Scotch eyed (barrel eyed?) augurs for making campcraft items

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
You don't *have* to drill round holes for furniture, mallets, etc. Rectangular holes can also work - cut with either a chisel and mallet or careful knifework.

Thanks. I have tried "non standard" holes, but I'd like to be a bit more techy if possible.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks. I have tried "non standard" holes, but I'd like to be a bit more techy if possible.

If you hanker after being more techie, make sure you are aligning your growth rings correctly.

Remember which direction of shrinkage is greatest and ensure inserted handle/chair legs etc rings are at 90degrees to the body of the work.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
That adapter is brilliant as well - can do more pictures of that if needed?[/QUOTE]

If you have more photos, they may well be useful. I have possible access to a metalworking shop where I might be able to persuade a friend to guide me in making something of the sort.

Many thanks for the post.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red, is that a solid lump of brass or a thick walled tube?

Solid cylinder of brass Dave, slightly rebated at each end to butt up tight on the handle, pyramid taper to admit the augers and tapped through the side for the thumb screw.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That adapter is brilliant as well - can do more pictures of that if needed?

If you have more photos, they may well be useful. I have possible access to a metalworking shop where I might be able to persuade a friend to guide me in making something of the sort.

Many thanks for the post.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a series of photos later on for you

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks very much.

Righto Here we go

In effect the adapter and a handle replaces a brace.

Brace and Bits plus Auger Adapter by British Red, on Flickr

Both have the advantages of being able to take a large variety of auger bits

Auger Bits for Brace by British Red, on Flickr

This is what the adapter looks like

Auger Adapter Front by British Red, on Flickr

Auger Adapter Socket by British Red, on Flickr

Auger Adapter Eye by British Red, on Flickr

The bits slot in the bottom

Auger Adapter Eye and Bit by British Red, on Flickr

Auger Bit In Adapter Eye by British Red, on Flickr

The handle through the eye

Adapted Auger by British Red, on Flickr

Hope that helps?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
cheers :) I was thinking of casting something similar in bronze you see. Although I could also machine it from steel or aluminium if it were a tougher grade ;)

I'd be tempted to cast in one piece Dave - I suspect any weak spots will be the where the wood joins the brass. Mine is solid - but how thats done I have no clue?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks very much for taking the time to post the photos.

I'll be out looking for a set of bits and a brace at the local car boots.

Do you know of anyone who makes the adaptor? I will have a go, but it won't be for a while as my access person has just changed jobs.

All the best.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres no makes name on it. It is clearly cast. All that it has on is the number "1". Tombear kindly gave me mine - I doubt I could find another.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, I found three or four of them rummaging through the boxes on the surplus tool stall on Haslinden carboot. After the novelty of owning the first wore off I realised I'd never actually use it as I didn't mind carrying a full sized brace if I was carrying the roll of bits so I passed it on to someone who would, and the subsequent ones I found. Unless he brings some new boxes from the mill where there's a supposedly a vast amount of kit dumped I've picked him clean I'm afraid. I know I paid a pittance for them.

ATB

Tom

Ps when these adapters were originally discussed I think some one pointed out that that other perennial find at car boots the old tap ( as in taps and dies , not sinks ) handle would also hold a brace bit if suitably large.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its also possible to just weld a T piece onto a cordless drill chuck shaft.

That allows you to use modern hex end auger bits.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the extra information. I'm hoping to get to a local carboot today after work.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE