Scorching skills weekend(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i thought i would share some pics of last weekends camp out. Myself and Craigm9 spent a couple of scorching days out in the woods,we planned on doing some primitive skills ie fish hooks,cordage etc etc.

Anyway heres a few pics
I arrived at camp at about 3ish,i went for a wander before setting up my tarp,then collected fire wood,and made a pot stand for our billies.
hanger1.jpg

Craig got to the site at 7ish,it was so hot we didn't bother lighting the fire until nearer 10 o'clock.
I lit the fire using the bowdrill.
me.jpg

me3.jpg

me4.jpg

me6.jpg

me7.jpg

Craig getting settled for a night round the campfire
craig.jpg

A shot of our camp.
camp1.jpg

We were of to bed rather early,well when i say early in-fact the sun had started to rise,i think we turned in at 3.30am:rolleyes:

So after a couple of hours of shut eye we were up for a breakfast of bacon,croissants and crusader mugs of tea.Craig successfully lit the fire using his firesteel to throw sparks on feather sticks that we made.

After breakfast we spent a couple of hours collecting and prepping firewood to last us for the rest of Saturday and on into Sunday.Once that was out off the way we started to have a go at some hands on skills,we started with rendering some nettles that i had collected at the back end of last year,to turn into cordage.Next we had a go at primitive fish hooks,abrading bone for barbs then splitting Spruce roots for lashings.I also took Craig on a plant walk to help with his ID-ing in the glorious sunshine.

result3.jpg

result4.jpg

By the time we had got that done it was time for our evening meal and a few tins of beer,it was a lot cooler than the previous night so i put a couple of stones next to the fire to heat up,we turned in a little earlier than before,1 o'clock this time,i trotted off to bed with my hot stone bed warmer and went out like a light.

I awoke at 8.30,and got the fire lit again with feather sticks and steel,after a big mug of tea we were back making stuff again.Craig started a Birch arrow shaft while i got on with boiling up some Willow bark that I'd collected the week before.
Craig first scrapped off the outer bark of the Birch,and then used the fire to heat up the shaft so as to straighten it,next he started to smooth it down.

Craig abrading the arrow shaft using a sandstone pebble,to make it smooth.
craig2.jpg

craig3.jpg

Next he started to abrade an arrow head out of slate,meanwhile the Willow bark was ready to come off the fire.
Willow bark cooling down after being boiled in a lye solution for about 1 hour 30 mins.
willow2.jpg

Well time had started to catch up with us, it was 3pm and Craig had to be back up the road for 4 so it was a mad dash to get everything packed up and into the cars,so that left us with some unfinished work,but i'm sure we will get it all finished next time.

Some raw materials and on going works.
result.jpg

Well i'm now back home nursing the dozen or so Midge bites and sun burnt head and arms,but that being said it was a great weekend with great company.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Looks like time well spent and a great weekend, not long enough sometimes a couple of days. Those hooks look great, did you get the chance to catch any fish with them? How did you make the Lye solution?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thanks.
Brilliant!

Any more pictures?

Hi Mark,sorry this is all the photos i have,but maybe Craig has some as he took a few.

Looks like time well spent and a great weekend, not long enough sometimes a couple of days. Those hooks look great, did you get the chance to catch any fish with them? How did you make the Lye solution?

Hi Barney,yeah time was chasing us,but there will be another one so we will get more done next time hopefully.The place we camp only has a tiny stream so no point trying out such large hooks.To make the lye solution i took a couple of handfuls of ashes from our fire before lighting it again on the Sunday morning,i put the ashes into a billie with water and brought it up to boiling point,then i chucked in the Willow bark and simmered it for 1-1/2 hours.

I hope this helps.
Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Looks like a real good one Stuart :D
Times like those are brilliant :cool:

Thanks for sharing,

atb,
M

Hi Mary,yeah it was a great time,you will have to pop down sometime as the place looks so different with all the greenery,Craig thought that he was at the wrong site when he arrived as the place looked so different.;)

I hope alls well with you.
Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE