Scissor handles

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I was wondering if anyone replaced the plastic handles for wooden one's. I would think it would be the same process as fitting knife handles. Any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blooming hard to make something that will fit comfortably and still be strong enough to take the forces involved in cutting through stuff….happy to be proven wrong right enough; bright orange is a tad hmmmm, iimmc, while something polished and carved from wood would have a much greater appeal.

cheers,
Toddy

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Would love to see it done, seconded on the strength, but if it's just paper I'm sure most hard woods would be fine if you got the grain right.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
All of the cheap scissors I've ever seen only have a very short stub going into the molded plastic handle. I don't think you'd have enough material to support the wood and rivet if you tried to replace the plastic.

Might be a good time to support Wright & Son Ltd and get some quality cutters. Hate to see a traditional craft facing rough days....

[video=youtube;IitTC4PqcOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IitTC4PqcOI[/video]

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If I was going to do this (smugly he looks to the pile of very nice ex carboot scissors which mean's I don't have to ) I would just fret saw out some replacement handles in the thicket horn i could scrounge up, scrape the edges rounded and fix on with Araldite and a wire binding ( I think rivets would weaken it too much).

To be honest it will be less effort to find a good old pair for a quid and do them up.

just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too, scissor handles need to be strong ands theres plenty of good old ones out there needing TLC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE