Scientific Kit List.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1jack1pike

Mar 16, 2014
Uk
Hi guys & Gals!

In the summer I will be off to Scotland. When I say Scotland what I really mean to say is a one man tent / coffin with the nearest spar shop 6 light years away for, did I forget to tell you this is for 6 weeks.

The reason I am doing this is to take drill core samples from 500 locations, mapping them, comparing them to old maps (to see if they are in the right place) then dating the rock core itself using magical technology not even I know how to use bla bla bla (insert big science word)... all in all I am working, so sadly no bush craft this time round - insert sad face!

Now the problem arises with this. I have never been to Scotland - ever. The closest I have ever got to the highlands is well, down town Cardiff.... So what on earth do I take? When I watch the news all I hear about in Scotland is Will Wallace, Bagpipes and rain - so will a long sword, ear plugs and gortex be the call of the day?

What will the weather actually be like in June - July, any recomeded kit (either for Scotland in general or what you would / have taken on daftly long trips like this).

Currently on my extensive kit list I have:
Left Boot
Sock X 2 (one for each foot)
Right Boot

So this long winded post is basically a cry for help - because I am seriously out of my depth here!

Many thanks :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The equipment you have should be enough, the only other thing you will need is 48 gallons of industrial insect repellent, a midge net, a midge suit, some homeopathic insect repellent, bite cream and anti histamines.

1jack1pike

Mar 16, 2014
Uk
Suppose all the insect repellent is to replace clothes :p But seriously! All that for scotland, as in Scotland UK - the bit at the top of the country where OS maps cost more? Not Scotland, Brazil!

Though I have heard the tics have attitude up there

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never mind the ticks, the mossies and midges will eat you alive. 6 weeks in the highlands in the summer? Seriously - sort out your insect kit - you will be in living agony otherwise.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Not really many midges on the east coast,well south east where i am im yet to come across them but when i used to live over on the west well yep the drove me mad. As for ticks we certainly have plenty of them round here mainly in bracken where the deer have been.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I started out as an archaeologist, and trust me, a fortnight on my first excavation in a rubbish 'one man' tent about 23 years ago convinced me very fast that 'one man' means you laying very still, with next to no kit.

I very quickly bought a cheap 3 man chinese tent from Oswald Bailey, and spent a month living in iton my second excavation - not great, but at least livable. I then learnt that using a rubbish sleeping bag on top of an airbed on top of a thin sleeping mat is better than nowt, but there is a reason why I use a Thermarest. Your going have a decent amount of kit (cos its Scotland, and the weather changes every five minutes), plus the drill (not exactly small), laptop (?) etc, so do yourself a favour and get a decent sized tent. I assume that you'll be using a car, so in effect, car camp. That means a decently heavy but comfy mattress, a decent bag, lots of drybags, a radio, mobile, PC charger, etc.

Your on an expedition (500 locations - wow! Thats about 8 a day...), so think comfort, Goretex (The German surplus flecktarn sound good - cheapish, hardwearing and actually work - Endicotts have them), wellies, spare trousers (mud is your enemy), and decent stops for food and booze (there is a theory that UK archaological digs can be plotted by drawing a 3 mile circle from country pubs - its not a bad idea). A copy of CAMRA's Real Ale Guide might not be such a bad start. Sat nav's also tell you where supermarkets are, but its probably best to check first!

As for the tent itself, it doesn't have to be light, but it does have to be big enough to be comfortable. A cheapy Vango jobby, or even one of those family tents that Aldi are selling off cheap for about £60. A decent stove (the Karrimor Alpline is stupidly cheap, even with P & P), and the chance to sleep without having to sit on top of all your other kit.

And lots of bug repellent. We are taking the kids up to Scotland in July for 2 weeks holiday in the middle of nowhere (my wife's idea) - so midge spray is high on our packing list!

Good luck, and hope the weather is good.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Red is sooo right, it may rain a bit, may be a bit blowy BUT the Midges will be out in serious force. spent many a happy day on a campsite watching fellow campers erecting their tents amid clouds of the vicious little bitting sods.
I've had good success with Nordic summer (from Tamerack) but more mossie netting than a malaria clinic is by far the best bet.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I did 3 weeks in the Highlands this summer. The kit which I found essential was

• Insect repellant;
  • Midge jacket/headnet;
  • Quality waterproofs and cold weather wear;;
  • More insect repellent;
  • A decent rucksack;
  • Camera;
  • Transport;
  • More insect repellent.

Other than that, just your normal camping gear.

Sounds like an interesting trip.

Alex

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
how far will you have to walk or camp from your vehicle?...........well, I assumed there's a vehicle involved when I read "rock drilling"

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I moved up from the SW to Scotland 6 yrs ago but grew up with midgies in NI. Scottish midgies are different they are b£&@;:£s. I've seen stats saying the midgies cost Scotland's tourist trade millions every year. They are small and bite hard. I had a few crawl into a shirt sleeve and had upward of 30 bites in less than an hour, found just one to kill. The East Coast have less but damp soggy ground most places is likely to have some. The west coast and islands have them all over. Mozzy head net, anti mozzie candles, midgies repellent (I use Autan, and the one someone on here made, there's also a scottish repellent which was voted tops last year and finally Avon skin so soft. It's not a repellent but leaves an oily film on yr skin that they don't like). Single man tent for protracted periods would be pants unless you have to carry it everywhere. Let us know where you're going I work all round the Scottish coast but may be able to give some tips on locations.

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Never mind the ticks, the mossies and midges will eat you alive. 6 weeks in the highlands in the summer? Seriously - sort out your insect kit - you will be in living agony otherwise.

I totally agree.I thought the midge problem was a myth.It's not.When I was up there,you don't even see them.However,they see,smell you and then slowly eat you.Repellent is a must :)

1jack1pike

Mar 16, 2014
Uk
Thank for the quick replies guys!! Should probably explain better, the plan is to be living "on site" during the week and hopefully on a caravan site at the weekend, if I ever remember to rent it, due to the ridiculous number of localities I was planning on a route march type approach - moving from locality to locality rather than back to somewhere every night, I think I will find myself meeting myself coming. Especially as, like you say, I have a lot of localities to visit (hopefully whoever did the survey originally did it well enough I can just sit around each day drinking coffee.

As for kit, I have divided up the localities into two types - ones requiring PDCR (Portable Drill Core Rig) as not all the localities require a core sample and those without, the ones with I will do at the weekends as, like you said again, I will need my car - so I can keep the heavy gear at the caravan and use as required leaving me only to lug around the rest of my kit all week.... Heck, I think I am talking myself out of this trip!

Tent, sleeping bag, roll mat etc is pretty much sorted - I will use what I always have which is not the best but will see me through.

Day to day I have decided that I will need (roughly) trousers, shirt, socks, boots, wet weather kit, cold weather kit.
Trousers - Montane Men's Terra Pant, been thinking I should have two (dry set and wet set) doubt I can afford another pair so what trousers does everybody like?
Shirt - Was just going to go with some cheap'o army wicking shirt thing, again dry set and wet set so two of these. Maybe another back at the caravan being washed?
Socks - Again just some Mountain Wharehouse jobbies, got two pairs (spotting a trend here?) - so maybe a few more
Boot - Altberg Warrior Defenders, such over kill of boots but I like the ankle support and (I think) its really boggy up there, would gaiters be any use?
Wet - Got a good gortex jacket which will do, as for trousers I have none (sad face) do I need them? I know some people love them others hate them
Cold - This is my biggest problem, I dont have a clue / own any, I am used to working in the tropics its not really errrr... needed?

For camping - or when I get fed up I think the following will be required
Cooker - I own two options so its up to you guys to decide! 1) jetboil, much lighter but I am not sure of the cooking capabilities (and the gas is samller) 2) Optimus Elektra FE, weighs a ton when you have gas but may be easier to cook with, sadly never used it much
Water - Not sure on this one, was thinking of taking purification tablets just in case, are the lochs ok to filter water from, I know like some of the stuff in the Lake District I wouldn't even attempt due to the soil. As for carrying it - I have tried not to think about it too much
First Aid Kit - well, yeah, I have a feeling I will need it at some point, I have a sort of layer system with first aid kits. I have my main 'mini hospital' with all the odds and ends and a smaller one with enough to patch myself up and get the heck out of there, will take both one for the caravan and the other for my pack.... speaking of packs...

Which pack do I take!!! You would of probably noticed by now I am a bit of a kit junkey but I have two packs I own and love - Osprey Kestral and Lowel Alpine Trek - there is no real reason to pick one or the other but I cant decide, too much of a big decision ;) So which one will it be!!!

In addition to all the 'science kit' I need, weather writer, note pad, pens, hammers, hand lens etc etc etc I will be taking gallons of bug spray and a head net hat thing so thanks for those :D

Cheers

P.S if you have read this far, the badge is in the post :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do NOT economise on socks - have plenty of dry pairs of the very best quality.Six weeks with wet feet is no joke at all. I would economise on almost every other item of kit beyond boots,socks and jacket.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
the experience ive had with a jet boil is that the only good job it does is boil water and imo is a waste of space for your exp !

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
When I was in scotland I had two tents, a regular one with big porch (essential in the wet) and a small one but stormproof for rougher weather.

I did use both.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Let me get this straight - your going to stay at each 'site' overnight during the week, and then try to have a break during the weekends at some caravan site, while using the drill? And you'll have the car at all times?

Personally, I would throw out of the window any thoughts of 'light' and 'heavy' kit - your car camping, so as long as you can get it in the car, put it up and repack it once or twice a day without too much hassle, then take everything you'll need.

The Montanes? They are seventy quid to buy a pair - thats what you might wear to go to the shops or the pub, same with the nice Goretex jacket. Your coreing (I've done it, its not a clean or sweat free activity), so use clothes that its doesn't matter if they get wet, muddy, stained, sweaty or ripped. In other words, cheap and cheerful.

Layer up - cheap fleeces and base layers from TKMaxx, and socks, gloves and hats (Mountain Warehouse is full of tat - dont bother). And they always have loads of Craghopper trousers (around £20), or the Regatta equivalent. Definately gets some decent socks, and lots of changes of clothes. If your getting into wet clothes every day because you've only two pairs of anything, thats miserable.

My local Aldi has a fair amount of reduced to clear cycling merino, some skiing stuff is in (cheap and decent quality), one or two of the bamboo T-shirts are still around (fantastic value), their are outdoor socks, and they might have some of the insulated trousers (again great vaue), although perhaps not needed for midsummer, even in Scotland. Since you've got about 6 months before you go, you can stock up on various bargains as them come along - just have a list.

See whats in the sales - Department stores often offload stuff after Christmas, normally the bits that they didn't discount straight after the summer ended (for supermarkets and department stores, camping is a summer thing, and summer ends in about mid August). Primark for T-shirts and trousers. Unlike many around here, I'm not normally a fan of surplus for hiking (often too heavy, too expensive, too knacked), but you might do well. British lights are about £8 if you shop around, and although too sweaty in summer, might be OK, and other surplus trousers would do. Same for surplus shirts (my local surplus knocks out German surplus ones for £2.50 - its just like being a student again!), and even jackets (Endicotts have the Dutch ones, which are fantastic). There are also woolly pullys. For storing stuff, British Army deployment bags start from about £15, and although not like those TNF bags, you can get a hell of lot of stuff in them. Army Kitbags might work as well. Surplus waterproofs, or cheap store ones.

You have lovely boots - but loads of sheep poo, etc might kill them. Wellies (certainly) and German Army boots might be good bet. They are really heavy, but hard-wearing, comfortable and cheap.

Drybags? Alpkit, or at the moment, Podsac (they are having a clearence sale). I assume you have a decent sleeping bag and mat. Decent sized tent. Pack? Whichever works - or even both.

Stoves - take both. The Jetboil is fine for brewing up when your half an hours walk from the car. When your cooking up at the end of a long day, you'll need something more. Even those Camping gaz stoves http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/102145-campingaz-camp-bistro-stove.html would do. A decent cooking set, big bottles of water (old 2L Coke bottles?), coffee (Azera) and plenty of beer. And a decent FAK - if the rock hammer slips, your going to know about it. And wet wipes/hand sanatiser...

Its a lot of time sitting around in the evenings, so lots of box sets to play on the laptop (The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-7 can be had for £40 - thats three episodes a night), load up the Ipod and Kindle, and perhaps some binoculars and star guide.

Think what you'll need for the week, without the drill, and then pack as much as you'll reasonably need. Your basically on the road for two months, so be comfortable, and dont skimp, its not worth it.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I assume that this is all for paid employment? And therefore that your employer may be footing the bill for all or part of your equipment? If so you could get a very nice wee nest egg of gear.

1jack1pike

Mar 16, 2014
Uk
I will be moving from location to location on foot during the week so to an extent weight is an issue. I jut had a thought that I may take one of my larger packs and strap a daysack under the lid so I can leave my main pack somewhere when not needed. At the weekend I will head back to the car / caravan and (lie down for a very long time!!) take the drill & car to the localities that are needed.

Thanks for the advice Old Bones - will probably still take my trousers & jacket during the week but I think maybe a cheap jumpsuit type thing or something that wont matter will be needed for the weekend, never even crossed my mind!

Have to go look in TKMax now! I always thought they just sold ladies handbags and mens perfume from the 80's

What will the weather generaly be like? I am guessing it could be very varied but will I needing hats and gloves?
Love a good surplus shirt! My fave!

Thanks for the tip off about podsacks - one thing I defiantly need

To an extent it is paid employment, I get my travel & living costs paid for and a small amount for my time, most of my "payment" so to speak is from being allowed to get 50% of the drill cores and all the data I can shake a stick at! Will have to look into / ask nicely if I can have some kit, they wont want me getting cold no!w!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
+10 for the recommendation for german flecktarn ex army coat.

I bought a jacket + salopettes set from ebay and used them to destruction. The salopettes are designed so you can pull them on over big boots. Having waterproof trousers or salopettes makes a huge difference when you are working outdoors, particularly in boggy conditions. You'll find yourself needing to kneel down a lot and without waterproofs you'll be soaked, muddy and miserably in no time.

A broad-brimmed hat keeps mizzle out of your face and if you have a midge net it can be put on over the hat.

Take a woolly warm hat for the evening in your tent. If it gets chilly, a warm hat to pull on makes all the difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE