Scary noises in the woods?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
No! :rolleyes:

I had just opened my window last night to have a look at the stars, when there was an almighty racket coming from the woods.
I grabbed my (very dim) torch and my cameraphone and jumped out through the window to go and watch the proceedings.

Anyway, if you ever hear anything like this when you're out camping, don't be alarmed. It's just a couple of badgers having a scrap. They were really going for it, a proper 'sett-to', if you will!

[video=youtube;B7jfw31H2Gg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7jfw31H2Gg[/video]

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That would be somewhat disconcerting, thanks for posting :)

Still not as eerie as mating fox's though!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Speaking of scary, here's some of my camping companions!

fox2.jpg

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
You've heard nothing until you've heard me laying cable in the dead of night after a fortnight of army rations.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I heard the same sounds once in deepest darkest Wales, I thought it was Mr Fenna having a dodgy nightmare until I realised I'd hung my hammock over a badger sett.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I actually camped in the woods for the first time on Thursday near Westbury, Wiltshire. I heard a few pheasants and then silence for the entire night. There was a very soft patter of something falling on my tarp i never worked out what it was but I assumed it was from the tree as it was coming from directly above. It was some sort of pine tree. The morning after I snuck incredibly close to a trio of deer. The nearby road was loud enough for me to get very close they only saw me when a fourth one walked from the other side of the path and spotted me. Good fun! I think I would have identified this as badgers although I would have likely shat myself had I heard this the other night. A very useful upload thanks for sharing.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Anyway, if you ever hear anything like this when you're out camping, don't be alarmed. It's just a couple of badgers having a scrap. They were really going for it, a proper 'sett-to', if you will!

as *they* (who are 'they' anyway???!) say " knowledge dispels fear..."

yeh, right.

'course it does - where's me big stick! :viking:

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
sorry Bushwhacker,

i didn't intend to cause any confusion or upset with my comment :eek: i'm new here and still getting to know everyone :newbie:

just had one of *those* 'moments' when i read "...do not be alarmed" - i remembered, as a kid i was camping with a pal, we were about 8, and we were woken up by terrifying 'monster' noises.

we were told by my pal's uncle "don't worry, it was only a couple of foxes." :yikes:

ha! don't worry?! only foxes?! so i found a big stick and spent the remaining hours on watch duty, ready to send off the 'foxes' or what ever they were! :viking:

and i've heard the phrase 'knowledge dispels fear' spoken of by lots of people, usually said like this - " they say 'knowledge dispels fear' "
hence my reference to *they* - who ever 'they' are - i always wonder who is this group of people called 'they' ?:rolleyes:

and only when i trust the knowledge - or even better, when by experience i learn to trust the knowledge - does it help to dispell fear.
at least that is how it is for me ! :)

thanks for sharing the vid and your experiences!

austin

mr walloping

Mar 14, 2011
in my house
I hear wild boar sometimes as there is a wild boar farm next to a farm i use and there are descendants from escapees roaming around.Myself and friends have found a couple of wild boar jaw bones as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE