Scandi Style Knife (or as I call it: "the Wildipuukko")

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,

In my garage I found a small blade that I ordered a long time ago. Time to make a knife ;)

For the handle I used cherry wood, leather, bronze, (and later a piece of pear wood...) I cutted the leather in small squares and soaked them in warm water. The I pressed them in my work bench and let them dry. So the leather will be a bit thinner and less elastic.

Wildipuukko von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

Meanwhile I made a collar from bronze. I drilled a few holes and the rest was done with small files.

I shortened the tang a little bit an roughed it up to give more hold to the 2k-glue. I gave a matt look to the collar:

The wooden parts of the handle are cherry wood and pear wood. The first try with two peaces of cherry failed, cause it was too cold in the garage so the glue hadnt harded out. I attached a new peace of wood and done the knife on a heater, so the glue will get more sturdy. The black parts I made from vulcan fiber.

The blade was taped and the handle gets a rough shape:

When the outlines are ready, the handle has to be rounded. After that, I grinded it with abrasive paper.

At the end the handle will be moistured a bit and then grinded with fine paper, so the surface will become very smooth.

After grinding the handle I have done the knife in a mixture of linseed oil and terpentine for two days.

Its the first time I made a traditional Scandi sheath with seam on the back. I used a plastic sheath guard for protection. First I traced the knife measures on a sheet of paper with a small leather lace.

I just made the sheath too high, so I cant get the knife out of the sheath. But I had left enough space, so it was no problem to shorten the sheath a bit.

I wrapped the knife in thin foil cause its made from carbon steel. The leather is soaked in warm water for a little while and then modelled around the knife. The seam has to be attached with clamps.

After removing the clamps, I gave a little shape on the seam and marked it. Every side has to be stichted through seperatly.

The edge will be cutted later, you can polish it with a folding leg or grind it. In the small part above I made a hole for the d ring.

I attached the belt loop on the sheath:

After sewing the sheath, I decorated it a bit with small lines. After complete drying, I have treatened the sheath with linseed oil as it gives a rustic patina to it and protects the leather from drying out. Heres the finished knife:

I hope you liked it,

cheers
Stefan

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Very good walkthrough and the end result is inspiring. I didn't know about coating leather with linseed oil. Very beautiful knife and sheath. Thanks for taking the time to post:)

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
Your post has been very inspiring. I need a traditional scandi knife in my life now. shame I'm stuck at uni, not exacally the place for metal and wood work :/

Very well done, It look amazing, who was the blade made by?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice thread :)

Its a shame you couldn't have kept the leather a lighter colour, i thought it looked better in the pics before you oiled it.... but.. its gotta be oiled. :)

Nice work :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Very good walkthrough the making of a really cracking knife.
Nice work to be sure.For what it's worth I like the oiled leather.It looks lived in!
Cheers , Simon

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Lovely work, I especially like the way you have used a "D" ring and strap to hang the sheath from. I have never liked the traditional, Scandi sheath strap, because the sheath tends to dangle all over the place, even if it is the traditional method of fastening it to your belt. I like the sheath to lie flat against the hips, but still free to move around. You have made a Great job of it and my ideal as to sheath design. I can see a few sheath makers following in your footsteps. Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE