Scam heads up

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thought I'd share this. Its one of the less well thought out scams I've herd of, but 0018459868736 called me claiming to be from Microsoft, and that my computer had viruses so I had to give them my SSID and went through telling me how to get my IP and asking for my passwords. To top it off when I said I used a Mac he offered to put me through to the "Mac department of Microsoft" :rofl:
Thankfully I wasn't born yesterday so didn't fall for it, but others might so I thought it was worth putting it up just in case anyone gets ripped off by these :censored:!
Not sure what they're wanting to do with the information, but undoubtedly it's thieving deceptive gittery!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
We've been getting calls from them for a while now. It's always great to have a laugh with Tom, with his barely understandable Indian accent. I quite look forward to their calls.:lmao:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I had that one. I was gonna tell them i only use android but settled on asking for proof they were from microsoft by put through to bill gates or i aint playing :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
We've been getting calls from them for a while now. It's always great to have a laugh with Tom, with his barely understandable Indian accent. I quite look forward to their calls.:lmao:
I got Dave! He seemed friendly enough, shame he didn't fancy chatting more when I informed him that A: Mac has nothing to do with Microsoft and B: they don't get viruses :lmao:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My favourite is to ask them to wait while I turn on the computer, then have my dinner, or make a cup of tea. They never wait for me to come back though. :lmao:
I like to steer the conversation with sales calls. Have them check if my free solar panels come in another colour etc

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The most unbelievable part about the whole scam is that Microsoft actually give enough of a toss to call someone in the first place.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Haven't had any 'Microsoft' calls for a while now.
Got this email yesterday though....

FBI Washington Field Office
601 4th Street NW
Washington , DC 20535 ,
Tel/ fax (563) 223-8716
E-mail: mccoypatricia12@yahoo.com.hk
Terrorist Screening,
checkmating Money laundry,
Trafficking, Bank Fraud Scam.

Security Interception of Unsolicited Business Transaction.
Attention: Beneficiary,
I am Ms. McCoy Patricia, The FBI director nominated by President Barack Obama to aid the current FBI General James B Comey, due to internal logical protocols guiding international and local transactions, my tenure represent peace, equity and justice and rule of law shall prevail, my duty is to ensure global maximum security and to protect fundamental human rights.
FBI has increased their priorities because of the recent terrorist global threat; find below the interception information's of the sum $8 million dollars United States dollars manifested in your name as the beneficiary, we have every evidence to prosecute this case, we are presently movement of funds from different countries based on the security Intel exposing links of terrorism sponsorship.

1. FBI global security wire tape has confirmed that the sum of $8 million dollars have been severally attempted to be release in your name through different methods like Automated card payment system method (ATM)
2. Consignment Diplomatic Delivery method
3, Bank Wire Transfer method

Every attempts by your partners to move this funds according to your instructions have been futile and frustrated by the FBI global security hard disc which is been control by world bank international security server, the amount in your name have been abandoned under government security vault which is against international law of money laundry, terrorism and trafficking, i met your file at the security strong room with every other transactions relevant documents without the other three compulsory documents mentioned in this message.

2, our security Intel have confirmed your email address on the payment manifest booklet, I have clinically crosschecked the manifest and discovered that several business transactions have been linked to your email address, you have consented by either sending money to them or aid the transactions by providing your information's for the movement of the funds through several means, your email address is on the hard disc.

Security Order: The amount registered in your name is $8 million dollars which you have to secure the below documents to enable our appointed agents to release your funds according to international government protocols or I will submit your file for legal prosecution if you refuse to pay the official fee of $355 dollars.

A. International Fund Release Clearance Permit Certificate
B. Fund Authorization Legal Certificate
C. International Fund Confirmation Order Certificate.

Finally, you have to get back to me once you receive this message to secure the above mentioned certificates if you don't want legal prosecution at the international court of justice, this message supersedes every other FBI message you have received in the past with this registered serial number TSGFB/09-PL.3R45.

Waiting for the three certificates so that your funds will be released according to government international security law, you should either follow the instructions or accept court prosecution, don't allow ignorance of the law to affect your sense of reasoning.

You should put behind your past dealings with crooks from different country now that i have contacted you, you have only two working days to submit the above mentioned certificates if you don't want to blame yourself for ignoring security instructions, you will be issued an official receipt once you observe the official fee.

Regards,
Ms. McCoy Patricia.
(TSGFB/09-PL.3R45).
Director FBI
C-C: Homeland Security Council
C-C: CIA

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Is there a service to report these scams? I assume it's pretty pointless but stull

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We get them all the time as both my wife and I are self-employed, so we actively advertise our telephone numbers... I've got so annoyed with them that I changed the way I deal with them now.

I now use the time they're on the phone to try and sell them one of my products... it works a treat. They spend the first 5 minutes of the call trying to ask me questions while I'm asking them casually whether they'd be interested in what I'm selling. Longest I've got them to stay on the line is 7 minutes... but I haven't sold anything.... yet! :D

matt_uk

Oct 16, 2015
Sutton Coldfield
The mac department of Microsoft? I knew they were in bed together all these years! I'm sitting smug using linux ... that'll keep them outsmartalised...

The best one is clicking the 'unsubscribe' button in junk email. Be aware that if this isn't a legitimate company you have just let the spammers know that your email address is indeed active and there's a live person at the end that your spam filter didn't protect from their wares... I've been unsubscribing from all those naughty emails with boobs and suchlike for years now with very little success, which is how I know about the problem. It's a service I'm proud to provide to my fellow bushcrafters... :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Funny you should mention those emails Matt... I've been getting them for years... everything from losing weight to enhancing certain aspects of myself... tried unsubscribing as the articles were getting more and more personal, and frankly I see myself in the mirror... no amount of enhancements is going to make me look good. So they keep coming, I get annoyed (as you do) and send a stern email today demanding the removal of my email address...

My wife hasn't replied yet. :p

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Funny you should mention those emails Matt... I've been getting them for years... everything from losing weight to enhancing certain aspects of myself... tried unsubscribing as the articles were getting more and more personal, and frankly I see myself in the mirror... no amount of enhancements is going to make me look good. So they keep coming, I get annoyed (as you do) and send a stern email today demanding the removal of my email address...

My wife hasn't replied yet. :p
https://youtu.be/OOgd9hitEAE

Sorry Dewi but that song springs to mind! For all of us I fear

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In fairness Mick, I've never looked that impressive... way I see it, I was built for comfort, not speed :p

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
In fairness Mick, I've never looked that impressive... way I see it, I was built for comfort, not speed :p
You and me both mate! Comfortable and cheap to maintain :lmao:
Song sprang to mind as I'm in a country and western mood today. I'm distilling my... Water... Later and it doesn't feel right without some charlie Daniels band and the like playing!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE