Saying hello again esp. to the girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hello again everyone, I joined BCUK back in 2011 then had a little bit of a break and since going to the Bushcraft Show last weekend have been back here again to check out what is going on. Hopefully I will be around for a while this time. :)

I thought I would post up here just to say hello to people but esp. to connect with some girls. Sometimes it is hard to tell which of you guys are girls, and no I am not on here to find women, I am a girl too. :cool:

Does anyone know if there are there any courses or meet ups going on that are just for women, any groups on here or any other interesting things going on for us lot? I live in France but it is easy for me to get a flight to the UK.

Have a great day in the sun,
TH

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi Turnstone and Elen, I thought the show was great, esp. as my two girls got to meet some other kids and spent all weekend running around with them. Which parts did you like, which parts you were not so keen on? I'm interested to know....

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Turnstone and Elen, I thought the show was great, esp. as my two girls got to meet some other kids and spent all weekend running around with them. Which parts did you like, which parts you were not so keen on? I'm interested to know....

It's too "happy campers" in the field for me but better in the woods. Some rowdies, especially a couple of shrieking women, kept me awake all Friday night to past 3am, so I was only half-cock on Sat - fell asleep in Lofty's talk (no fault to him, he was grand) as I was so knackered. It also made me cold and shivery ... and late for Paul's w/s as I fell asleep again. If I ever meet the women ... !!! Woods also have a public track running through them so one is continually stared at.

Many of the demos/free courses were very good, specially Paul Kirtley (& his pay-for Nav course), Ben Orford and Ben McNutt. Falconry good, also snakes & tarantulas, and the ferret :). Nice ice cream and good tea/coffee stall, beer quite good. The farm stall had some nice food but I'd brought food from home farmers' markets. And it's always nice to meet friends, specially those I'd only met online :).

Don't think I'd go again ...

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Thanks for all the welcome backs guys! I really appreciate it. @Elen I'm sorry that you had a crummy nights sleep at the bushcraft show, that's is really hard. I know what you mean about the happy campers, yes. My two girls absolutely loved running around with other kids in the main site however and it was just so nice that we could have a fire really. I loved the talks esp. Ben mcNutt and I managed to buy some new gear too. all in all it was a very positive experience for me, but I do crave something more intimate and I am thinking about coming to the moot, yes @cyclingrelf. But I will have to fly from France into bristol however and I am wondering if doing the trip without a car and two kids in tow for a week will be too tough. I have never had to pack so minimally before.

Thanks @paganwolf I will look up Hannah from natural pathways.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Oooh hello! Tis always lovely to see lasses coming on, even if its via rebound ;) I did the Bushcraft Show last year and to be honest, it was the smaller firms and names that made the biggest impression, but then, I DID go on Groupon voucher day which saved 70odd % on cost but meant there were 3 times as many folks there so you couldn't see half the stuff without jumblesale elbows at the ready ;) English Handmade Knives were brilliant and Ben Orfords shows- just great. There was a forger called Kaos who had smashing stuff too IIRC.

Theres a facebook page called Sisterhood of the Bush which gets a wee bit of female traffic... and some lads who are sufficiently in touch with their inner lassie :) I'm a moot virgin this year with my 11yr old Youngling, reaaallllly looking forward to it! I love the meets weither theres mixed gender or just the blokes, tbh, its like camping with the brothers I didn't have :) But gals often seem to craft in different, diverse and really interesting areas which expand the 'bushcrafting' label in a very natural and kinda symbiotic way. What kinda things do you enjoy, TawnyHare?

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Oooh hello! Tis always lovely to see lasses coming on, even if its via rebound ;) I did the Bushcraft Show last year and to be honest, it was the smaller firms and names that made the biggest impression, but then, I DID go on Groupon voucher day which saved 70odd % on cost but meant there were 3 times as many folks there so you couldn't see half the stuff without jumblesale elbows at the ready ;) English Handmade Knives were brilliant and Ben Orfords shows- just great. There was a forger called Kaos who had smashing stuff too IIRC.

Theres a facebook page called Sisterhood of the Bush which gets a wee bit of female traffic... and some lads who are sufficiently in touch with their inner lassie :) I'm a moot virgin this year with my 11yr old Youngling, reaaallllly looking forward to it! I love the meets weither theres mixed gender or just the blokes, tbh, its like camping with the brothers I didn't have :) But gals often seem to craft in different, diverse and really interesting areas which expand the 'bushcrafting' label in a very natural and kinda symbiotic way. What kinda things do you enjoy, TawnyHare?

hi there TurboGirl, thanks for the welcome. I am with you when you say it's like camping with the brothers you never had :) and I have a ten year old girl, so if I make it to the moot, i'll look forward to meeting you (my daughter will probably find your young en first!) I am really into wild food, esp. herbal medicine and I adore making things, esp. out of wood, but I also am learning how to throw pots at the moment;) I have just bought a wheel. I was really inspired by a flint knapper at the Bushcraft show called Primitive Technology and want to start having a go, I picked up some huge flint nodules yesterday for my first attempts. But basically I just love being outdoors in the woods. I homeschool my two girls and try to do some kind of bushcrafting every week with them, mostly fire skills, tracking and using wild food. I have to say that I love connecting with women because of what you say, I think they have a really interesting take on the whole thing.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Its not terribly busy on the facebook page atm but its nice to have a place where female crafting can be shared :)

Xylaria hasn't popped in to say hello on your thread, but she's a 'she' who makes medicinals- been trialling her 'Stupidly simple midge repellant' this weekend, I'm delighted to be unbitten!! Quite a few of us- Elen, Toddy (who is a lady mod and extremely knowledgeable on medicianls and gosh, everything, really!!) are spinners and fibreworkers... a LOT of the blokes are fabulous sewers too, phwwwoooaaarrrr! Some of the kit they sew is amaaaazing! I spent the weekend with a far more knowledgable man than myself who has given me guideance on historical pattern cutting and another who has just bought his first sewing machine, as happy as a pig in a blanket, he is ;) It's unexpected and wonderful to have that kind of cross-over of 'traditional' skills :)

'Primitive Techology' huh? Sounds MOST interesting :) There are a few people interested in knapping at our local meet but we need a teacher too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE