Sawyer Filters: How do you use yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Sawyer Mini filter has to be one of my favourite pieces of kit I've used recently. Looks like I'm not the only one judging by the amount popping up in peoples kit lists and the success of the group buy.

Anyway thought it would be interesting to see how everyone uses theirs and get it all in one thread for people new to the system.

My current water kit:

DSC_0262_zpsd0060cbd.jpg

• Sawer Mini
  • Cleaning syringe
  • 2l Platypus bladder - Dirty water bag
  • Cut down 500ml bottle - Used as a scoop
  • Straw thingy for emergencies (Could probably do without it, but might be used to get water from a hard to reach place if I happened to be really desperate)
  • Nylon stuff sack to keep it all in.
  • Two 1l Nalgenes.

The rationale is I use my 2x Nalgenes for carried water which are refilled using the 2l Platypus. The Platypus is used as my dirty water bag but also allows me to collect a total of 4l (2l filtered, 2l dirty) for camp use and to cook breakfast. It's a struggle to fill the bladder from slow moving water as the water pressure presses the bladder shut, so a cut down water bottle is used as a scoop in these situations.

Yet to field test this but came up with a simple gravity filter mod from a 2l bottle. Just scoop up the water with the mini attached, hang from a branch or hiking pole and let gravity do the hard work. Certainly it's not as quick as squeezing it through but ideal for in camp, just like a Millbank I suppose.

DSC_0389_zpsezcsoubh.jpg

Total weight including the gravity filter 178g.

DSC_0390_zps46ou7e9l.jpg

So how do you use yours? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just fill a 2L Platy with dirty water and take back to camp, either with a cap on for storage or I screw the Sawyer on when I need water.

I used to fill the 500ml Sawyer bag with dirty water and filter into the 2L Platy, now I just do as above.

not got mine yet but will fit it to my gigerrig Bladder and use that to pressurise water thru the Filter maybe in line with a carbon filter if chemicals and metls are a worry .
may get a second Gigerrig to take the clean and use that to back flush

will see how it goes

ATB

Duncan

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Looked at similar solutions to your cropped bottle, for me personally i did not like the fact that i'm putting the filter in unfiltered water.
With the mini you can close the cap off, but still you are going to have the filter covered and dripping with unfiltered water.

For some it may not be a worry, for me personally i'm not willing to take the risk.

Here is my current setup

20140423_021823_zpsn6fclvxs.jpg

20140423_021835_zpsxtm3r48f.jpg

Ideally there is a tree or rock to hang it from, if not i'll dig the tip of my walking pole into the ground and lean my rucksack up against it, then string it up from the top of my hiking pole.

As i said in the other thread, i'm waiting for some bits i've ordered so i can experiment with a few methods of filling the bladder up.
I'll post my results if they ever get here.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I use mine inline with a 3 litre source bladder. The only different thing I do to some is that I put a plastic fuel filter in place before the sawyer to catch any big particles. Although I am considering removing the fuel filter as the sawyer can be back flushed.
The other way which is mega lightweight is to have 2 x 1 litre pop bottles, with dirty water in and just screw the sawyer straight to them, don't need to worry about clean and dirty bags as they all hold dirty water.
There may be a totally logical answer that I can't see, but what's the benefit of having a dirty water bag and a clean water bag and filtering into the clean? Why not use the sawyer and drink directly from the dirty? Like I say there may be a bloody good reason that I'm blind enough that I can't see.

I may be able to add a picture of mine if needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah stick a pic up of yours Steve, would be interested to see the fuel filter in place. The dirty water bag is for collection and the clean for storage. A non issue if your drinking straight away but having a store of clean water is useful for cooking, but still I think you have a point.
I suppose for me the clean water bag is my Nalgenes which won't fit the Sawyer. I may replace one of them with a 1l pop bottle so I can fill and drink through the Sawyer as I hike.

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Apart from whats been mentioned already, I include a micro fibre cloth in my water kit pouch. Think i got the idea from the original Sawyer vid or HF. (Though it might have been a bandana) poundlands car cleaning section etc, cut it down if need be. A truly multi use item ! Pot grab, wipe your tarp down, scrub yer pits?

Makes sense to me. Wipe the bag down before inververting it, dirty water on the outside of the bag can run down the outside of the filter too. I'm in the habit now and aint changing.

:)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
There may be a totally logical answer that I can't see, but what's the benefit of having a dirty water bag and a clean water bag and filtering into the clean? Why not use the sawyer and drink directly from the dirty? Like I say there may be a bloody good reason that I'm blind enough that I can't see.

I use my "clean" bag mainly for camp use.

If i'm using dehydrated food i'll use the clean water, likewise tea, coffee etc.
I use clean water to have a cat lick wash with and brush my teeth as well.

You could just filter what water you need, but for the sake of 47 grams for a 2 litre Evernew bladder i find it useful to have some clean water to hand.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Apart from whats been mentioned already, I include a micro fibre cloth in my water kit pouch. Think i got the idea from the original Sawyer vid or HF. (Though it might have been a bandana) poundlands car cleaning section etc, cut it down if need be. A truly multi use item ! Pot grab, wipe your tarp down, scrub yer pits?

Makes sense to me. Wipe the bag down before inververting it, dirty water on the outside of the bag can run down the outside of the filter too. I'm in the habit now and aint changing.

:)

Great idea that.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I've got some new Evernew water bladders in post in varying sizes. These are much better options than the original Sawyer ones.

Think I'll be filling one with dirty water (With help from a capri bottle with bottom removed to act as a scoop) and then will be filling another Evernew bottle up via filter. I've got 2ltr bladders for base camp and smaller for carrying/filtering water on the move.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I'm using mine with a 2 Litre platy as a dirty water bag and then can filter in whichever vessel I have out with me.

I recently had an idea for a lightweight scoop. Rather than use a cut down bottle, I'm using a empty pouch from a 'look what we found' meal. They roll up to, and weigh, very little. They hold around 600ml and they are essentially 'free' so if you lose or damage it it's not an issue.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
I'll get a picture up of my setup, I'm using the hydrolink adaptors and a wide opening 2litre bladder to back fill my 3 ltr camelback. My only thing I haven't worked out is a lightweight rain collection setupfrom my tarp

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've put a pre-filter on mine: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2014/05/sawyer-mini-squeeze-filter-pre-filter.html

Other than that, I use an Evernew 1.5L plastic bag for dirty water. I get the water in using my cup. I then screw on the filter and squeeze into my water bottles.

IMG_92273.jpg

I like the pre-filter mod. you made - that might mean that I would stop bringing along my Millbank bag...

I also note that you collect the dirty water in your cup before putting it into the Evernew bag. How do you then clean your cup? It sounds a bit precious, I know, but, having been victim of water-borne nasties, I am painfully scrupulous about only having clean/filtered water in anything out of which I might drink later. Do you just assume the heat of your drink will sort it out or do you carry a separate mug for your drinks? I suppose that, with a metal mug, a few seconds in direct flame will do the trick!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Source 3l bladder, 2ft of Source hose and male connector, 1 paper type inline petrol filter to stop sediment from reaching sawyer, 4cm platypus hose, Sawyer mini, 4cm Platypus hose, Aquaguard quick release fitting, 20cm Source hose and Source bite valve.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Source 3l bladder, 2ft of Source hose and male connector, 1 paper type inline petrol filter to stop sediment from reaching sawyer, 4cm platypus hose, Sawyer mini, 4cm Platypus hose, Aquaguard quick release fitting, 20cm Source hose and Source bite valve.

Any pics Pete?

I need to see it in the flesh so to speak.

Ta. :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Here's the pics Martin;

20140714_2110402_zps6ebfa230.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The quick release after the Sawyer mini is for filling pots, much quicker and easier than pulling off the bite valve. Been using a similar system for years, only the Sawyer is new-it replaced an Aquaguard eliminator.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE