Saw

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Any ideas on this saw?
07bbf25f63b40946d75d82381ac3a4e2.jpg

bf5799f8db2480d9ed718d1dd1655d1a.jpg

It cost a quid.... I thought it looked intersting ☺

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I like it, but it does need a new handle and a sharpen!

I'd womble the steel to make a set of knives. Chef, fillet and boning knife (atleasr) look present in that blade should you ever consider recycling it!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It'll probably need a good set as well. But thats an excuse to learn all the skills. Shame not to restore it to its purpose.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I'm guessing it's some kind of old Rip Saw...? It looks similar to one owned by a "chippy" mate of mine...I'll text him tomorrow and see what he thinks...

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's a crosscut, not a rip.

Single-handed version of the big two handed ones, for cutting logs.

I'd used a wire brush on an angle grinder to polish the blade sides, then carefully sharpen with a find file. Then a new handle.

An interesting project.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
It's a crosscut, not a rip.

Single-handed version of the big two handed ones, for cutting logs.

I'd used a wire brush on an angle grinder to polish the blade sides, then carefully sharpen with a find file. Then a new handle.

An interesting project.
Interesting...cheers

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I've just found a nice bit of mahogany in my dads garage for the handle.... there's one tooth ( if that's yhe em right word ) I think pretty destroyed but the rest looks doable. ...
Great link for info on setting by the way☺.... nothing on sharpening though.....
I'm not sure about wire brushes? ??
They do work Well but I used one on a bilhook recently and I think I prefer the patina!
I found paraffin and wire wool and elbow grease is a good staring point.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you are going to use it you want the blade as smooth as poss, if its a wall hanger, rub it down with wire wool then wax it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't wire brush that. Take the handle off, lay the blade flat on your work bench and then douse it with paraffin. Rub well with an oilstone. Brings it up lovely.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Been studying that guy for years :) Have the jointers and even the saw set big enough for the largest teeth. Never, ever found a cross face / cross pein hammer though :(

I live in hope of a 2lb cross pein and maybe a 2lb straight pein which would "get 'er done" :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE