Saturday night in the woods...(pic heavy)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As I posted last week, SWMBO let me play out on Saturday and so I went to my playground just outside Burnley.
I have permission to use a 50 hectare plot of mixed open moorland and recently planted (15 years ago) woodland.

I set up camp in the standing of trees to the right of the picture at the top of the rise...
DSCN3028.jpg

The wind was howling down the valley, so I decided to rig my tarp like a tent.
I have never used this set up before, but will definately do so again...who knows, I might even talk SWMBO into joining me!
DSCN2980.jpg

And inside, showing the tarp that a Hawaiian bushcrafter kindly sent me, used as a groundsheet...
DSCN2973.jpg

Now you might be surprised to hear that I am a bit of a kit freak, so this time out I was using my new Honey Stove...(seen from inside the tarp)
DSCN2990.jpg

I was woke up in the wee small hours by a couple of owls calling to each other, and then a fox barking. It was about 0100hrs and a very clear night.
The wind had dropped and the Moon was like a spotlight...
DSCN2999.jpg

The same view, just after Sun up...
DSCN3003.jpg

As I packed up, I decided to rig up my Hawaii tarp as a flying V, just to see how much it stood out in the English countryside...
DSCN3014.jpg

and seen through the trees...
DSCN3015.jpg

I was surprised, as I expected it to stand out more!

SWMBO & Mini-SWMBO picked me up around 0930hrs and took me to McDonalds for breakfast.
Not my idea of good food, but at least no-one sat near us.
(Apparently I looked like I had slept under a bush and "stank" of woodsmoke!)

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for sharing Simon, looks like a cosy spot you've found there

I haven't been out for a couple of weeks and I'm starting to get twitchy feet after looking at those pics

EDIT:

How did the new stove perform ?

I read you didn't bother using it with the tatonka so it must have burned well enough.

Looking forward to the full review anyway mate ;) nudge nudge

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As a short follow up story.

Whilst out, I was biten by something (insect) on the knuckle of my right thumb. This has caused a bit of discomfort for the last couple of days and has been red and slightly swollen.

I have shrugged it off and applied cream to the area, but have just been woken up by it, it has got so uncomfortable.

My thumb is now twice as wide as the other and it has got a very slow capillary refill, so I wil be going to the Doc this morning - probably for a course of anti biotics?!

Why is it always the little things that cause so much hasssle?

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE