Saturday lunch.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The last of the plums provided the main coarse.

FARM_SEP_01.jpg

Damsons are just about there. The rain this week should plump them out nicely.

FARM_SEP_02.jpg

Was still a surprising amount of elderberry left on some of the trees, those just 40m or so down the hill are cleaned out already.

FARM_SEP_03.jpg

There were enough pears to get carried away and almost make myself sick but on the whole they still have a couple of weeks to go.

FARM_SEP_04.jpg

One for the fungi folk(looked tasty whatever it is).

FARM_SEP_05.jpg

The hedges were more red than green in places and the birds were going mental and stuffing themselves as well.

FARM_SEP_06.jpg

Quick pic to get Toddy wondering.....
A clue is that it's not far at all from where you sit. You keep your mitts off those damsons though, if you do work it out. :nono:

FARM_SEP_07.jpg

:)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful Josh, really inspiring. :approve:
Oh and :eek: I suspect that HWMBLT got some of them last week when he was out looking for sloes :rolleyes: They were a bit sharp, but they were nice gently poached with some soft brown sugar, a knob of butter and a splash of brandy :D
He didn't bring me any pears though :(
The Clyde valley plums I got were gloriously juicy this year.

Are you finding that an awful lot of the mushrooms are crawling with maggots? Everything from chicken of the woods, penny buns to Mucida were all inedible by the next day :(

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Toddy said:
Are you finding that an awful lot of the mushrooms are crawling with maggots? Everything from chicken of the woods, penny buns to Mucida were all inedible by the next day :(
Haven't noticed, mushrooms aren't my thing really. I suppose it's one of the disadvantages of knowing someone who's clued up on something. Scott handles the mushrooms usualy and I only see what appears in bulk for the pot. I learn one or two a year but not enough to become confident, so when I'm on my todd I mostly just leave them, just in case.

Splash of brandy? Sounds like a recepie for the meet :). If timing works out I'll bring the makings of a pudding.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sure - brandy's for cooking. Cognac is for drinking. :)

As for the mushrooms, you really need to clean them as much as possible as soon as possible. With boletes there's a lot to be said for removing the pores immediately. Then inspect the cap for damage, section it if need be, and dig out all the beaties you can find.

Still plenty of elderberries in Edinburgh - I picked about 6 kilos yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE