Satellite Dish’s as Fire Pits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi Y'all,
Been lurking on the forum for a while andf figured I'd better post up sooner or later so am looking for some advice.

Is there any reason that an old solid metal satellite dish couldn't be used as a bricked up firepit to teach scouts to light fires in and possibly cook on?

Just wanted to make sure they aren't generically coated with anything that might be toxic etc.

Regards,

Tim Dallen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's probably been powder coated or zinc coated to give it some weather protection, have you tried cleaning it back to the metal?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thought of that myself the other day - got an old one still on the wall. I doubt it would be too long lasting once the paint/powdercoat burns off

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Most coatings can be burnt off with enough heat. You just dont want to be breathing it in when it does.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Powder coat burns off really nicely once you get it to about 400 degrees :) It's a good idea not to stand over it while it's burning off. You'll cause as much pollution of your local environment sanding/wire brushing powder coat off as you will burning it off - chances are the gasses and ash created will break down a lot quicker than the raw plastic though.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Have you thought about simply using the dish as a mould?

You could use clay or good old mud and you could use the dish again and again, thereby honing the skills required to build the pit in the first place, as well as the fire lighting skills.

Just a thought

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Next best thing, I have just bought the biggest Wok I could find which I think is about 16 inch with the idea of
building my fires in that, if they are off the ground , they are not going to cause any damage to the environment and will leave no fire scars, also easy to dispose of the embers and ash, I like small fires so size of the Wok is big enough, and sat on three stones it will be supported clear of the ground with a tripod over it.
Have not tried it yet, may have to put some small holes in the bottom to let air in to help combustion.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Next best thing, I have just bought the biggest Wok I could find which I think is about 16 inch with the idea ofbuilding my fires in that, if they are off the ground , they are not going to cause any damage to the environment and will leave no fire scars, also easy to dispose of the embers and ash, I like small fires so size of the Wok is big enough, and sat on three stones it will be supported clear of the ground with a tripod over it.Have not tried it yet, may have to put some small holes in the bottom to let air in to help combustion.
Just a heads up on the wok idea! They rust like billyoh! I bought a huge carbon steel wok from wing yip to hang from a tripod and cook in when car camping. One night I thought, i'll wash and oil it in the morning and it was literally brown the next day! On the other hand, nothing a little scourer didn't sort out. For a fire pit mind, might be nice to get some of the BBQ/stove paint, unless of course you don't mind the rust... I just didn't want wet rusty metal making its mark all in my car![edit]I bought a stainless steel fire pit with folding legs from Asda last year for £20... Lets see that rust! :)[/edit]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE