SAT stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Theres been a few posts about SAT stoves lately, got me thinking about getting my own out of hibernation, i bought a load of methanol off ebay last night and dug my SAT stove out the shed this morning. Its been at least 2 years since i last looked at this and was quite surprised to find the fuel bottle still full of meths, hadn't leaked or evaporated in all this time...dead impressed. Anyway i filled the burner with half the bottle and filled the billy up to the rim with water and half filled the smaller pan and sat it on the top,lit it and started timing. It took exactly 20 mins to boil the billy and simmer the smaller one at the same time. I emptied it and tried again. Sure enough it boiled bang on 20 mins and the fuel ran out at the same time. Its not jetboil times but with winter on the doorstep and gas pressures falling etc etc, alcohol stoves are the way forward for me, not only that but practically unbreakable, nothing to wear out and replace.
i only paid £7 for the stove unissued in the first place....happy days

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Nice one. Meths (or a like replacement) is viable in UK temps during the winter, but to make it quicker and more efficient always carry that meal's fuel inside your coat and put the morning's fuel inside your scratcher (preferably in a bottle ;))

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Hi, what is the size of the big pan, how deep. can you eat out of them with a tea spoon.
Do you know how long it take to boil in the summer say enought for a hot drink and water left for noddles, 550ml.
Getting my 10 year old one for light cooking for him self, at the ages he want to play too lol. will use my primus for everything else and my cooking.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi, what is the size of the big pan, how deep. can you eat out of them with a tea spoon.
Do you know how long it take to boil in the summer say enought for a hot drink and water left for noddles, 550ml.
Getting my 10 year old one for light cooking for him self, at the ages he want to play too lol. will use my primus for everything else and my cooking.

I'm not a fan of them but for water heating and noodles they are ideal. Roughly 6x4 by 6" (ish) deep. Water takes 6-8 mins to boil.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't need to carry the burner on you to keep it warm. Even sub zero you'll light alcohol if you use a flame like a match or lighter, just don't bother trying to light from a spark. You can speed things up by 'spilling' (with due care) a little fuel around the ridge on top of the burner which will help the burner get to full 'bloom' faster.

You can also use something like the lid off a shoe polish tin, put under the burner, add a little meths/alcohol and light then put the Trangia burner in place and things get up to speed. Adding a 'wick' to the pre heater helps soak up the fuel and light, you could use a bit of fibre glass cloth or even dry leafs which will work fine.

Don't carry a burner full of fuel, you risk damaging the burner from knocks and a spill on your clothes, no need and not worth the hassle to be honest.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Desert spoon he will have to use then unless i can find a long handle tea spoon. not sure if you can get metal ones, seen plastic ones.
8mins is ok, was thinking if it took 20mins i would of cooked my lunch and eaten it before he even got his drink lol he would of wanted to swap stoves.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I read on some other site an old guy who was in the sweadish army long long time age said the fuel they used had a % of acetone in the fuel, lower boiling point so it helped it to work better, and light easier in the cold.
how ture who knows.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd be inclined to put the SAT back into storage and get one of these. Not as robust but about 300g lighter and with much better boiling times.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Desert spoon he will have to use then unless i can find a long handle tea spoon. not sure if you can get metal ones, seen plastic ones.
8mins is ok, was thinking if it took 20mins i would of cooked my lunch and eaten it before he even got his drink lol he would of wanted to swap stoves.
Afew years ago at one of my meets, SimonM introduced me to the sundae spoon, a long teaspoon basically, simon used them to get to the bottom of a boil in the bag rat pack meal, I've used em ever since

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Afew years ago at one of my meets, SimonM introduced me to the sundae spoon, a long teaspoon basically, simon used them to get to the bottom of a boil in the bag rat pack meal, I've used em ever since

Thats just the right thing, thanks. will have a look round town next time i go. whimpy use them but at there prices its cheaper to buy a pack of spoon than one of there icecreams lol not like i would take one anyway, plus there plastic.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

Things have moved on now Gray...I use a long handled spoon made of Titanium now:cool:.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE