SAT Burner Lid Seal Issue - Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

OK, so I didn't heed my own advice about emptying out a SAT burner for storage whilst I've been using a BRS wood burner :(

(Although a Scandi once told me not to do so as a wick inside the SAT burner would become brittle and fragment if left dry for too long?)

Anyway - worse still was that the burner became upturned whilst in storage so the lid sealing ring was subjected to about six months of direct contact with meths through the burner jets.

I was lucky to be able to clear almost all of the 'mushed' rubber from the burner jets but the seal is still sticky even after cleaning, drying and being left out for a few weeks.

The question is - can the rubber seal be re-stabilsed so that it doesn't stick to the burner during storage/carriage and if so -how?

I already have some aftermarket replacements but they don't seem to be quite the original quality. :confused:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have used Vaseline to lubricate the rubber door seals on my garage queens, and seen no ill effect longterm.

A friend has a car museum and his guy uses talcum powder.
You can but rubber seal lubricant in car parts hops but those I have never used.

What is the material? Butyl?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a spare rubber seal for those burners im sure in the loft somewhere, i'll dig it out and take sizes off it.

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Thanks for the responses.

Janne - I'm not sure what the material is - as I believe that it is an original seal I suspect that it will be butyl - I may be wrong but as vaseline is petroleum based might that not degrade it further? I have considered talc, it may be the way to go.

Tony - I do have some aftermarket spares which I suspect are synthetic and a slightly narrower gauge.

I wonder if anyone on here has come across any of the appropriate size seals made from fuel resistant material?

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
As for the part about the wick going dry, thats unheard of to me. The burners were always stored dry when I did my national service. The wick is pure cotton, afaik.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Thanks for that Crowe - worth a try.

Pysen78 - it was a Dane who told me that - could it be that the top part of the wick close to the burner jets chars slightly and if allowed to dry out degrades/shrinks back? I'm trying to liken the process to how the wick in a kero burner gradually degrades. For sure out of the half dozen or so SAT burners which I have, some out perform others quite noticeably and I would imagine that jet wear/size and/or wick condition couild be the only variables?
(Or perhaps the Dane was having a dig at the Swedes - not unheard of I believe :)

I did leave the offending seal in talc for a few days and the soft mushy side has dried up, but whether it will stay that way once back in contact with meths I don't yet know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE