SASS Martindale Golock

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thinks it's a mark 2 dated on blade is 1999
On another clear out found this, never used it and can't remember much about the knife other than bought from SASS.

Can anyone help on its history, making, if it was better that the original etc

2 photo's below

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up MikeLA,

If my memory serves me right, that is a Martindale Jungle Knife as opposed to a golock which has much more of an even sided blade, not hump backed.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of those. As said, Jungle knife. Not easy to get in the UK. Saw it reviewed in the US publication, Tactical Knives, and tried to get one in the UK. Martindale have a policy of only selling just two models in the UK, the Golok and the Paratrooper Machete. If you want a Jungle knife here your only hope is buying one that has been exported and then re-imported back to the UK, which puts the price up a LOT. I bought mine in the US probably 12 years ago for $45, they were at least that much in £. Looking across the web now, I can't find anywhere selling one, here or in the US, so don't cast it away lightly :)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I was after one a few years back so emailed Martindale. They replied saying although it was in their catalogue it is a discontinued model. Tried to get one through the surplus route but nobody seemed to have them. I think they were issued for a very short time before being replaced.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I have one which was sent to my SQMS by mistake and I swapped my standard Golok for it to keep the books straight, I then managed to get a normal golok from him later when they ended up with one surplus :)
Colin

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I remember SASS selling them for a short time. Presume the shape gave a bit more wallop. Probably a pretty good tool.
Martindale really are old school and never really bent over for service support. Stack them high and sell a lot. Price was always far too high for the quality in the UK, and quality isn't that great and if anything going down hill.
At some point in my knife buying and wielding history I've got annoyed with the company for no obvious reason other than they are really not interested in what others think. A British Company stuck in the past. Love to be proved wrong, but don't think it will happen.

The last golok I had some years ago I couldn't get an edge to stay on it, so gave up on the brand completely.

I prefer the Finish made Skrama now anyway.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The one I saw like yours above was very well made and looked like a useful tool. Like so much in life I wish I'd bought one when SASS had them. I think I assumed they'd be widely issued and therefore be available through the system.

The standard/regular golock quality has dropped a lot, I nearly bought a old stock one a few years ago but opted for a billhook instead.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I had a mark 2, was cheap as chips, nice shape but poor material and finish, the handle was sharper than the blade, ended up reshaping the handle and spent ages getting the blade sharp, but it will rust as soon as you can blink and it goes blunt very quickly, gave it to a mate who kept breaking bendy machetes, he's very happy with it, I got a Svord Golok, now that is a quality tool, seriously it is L6, micarta handle and just demolishes anything I swing it at, plus it slices tomatoes for sandwiches...oh, but the sheath is junk, nothing in life is ever perfect, right?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE